Thursday, August 16, 2018

My Sewing Thread Jar

One of my friends gave me this glass jar with the rope handle last summer and I could never find the perfect use for it until I decided to use it for my huge collection of sewing thread. I put the jar next to my sewing machine for scale in this photo that I enhanced using the Snapseed App. The wall behind my sewing table really isn't grungy at all. Most of these spools are wooden and many contain silk thread. Somewhere along the way, I must have purchased someone's thread collection because I will never have a use for many of these colors. I had them all in a jumble in a large hat box and in a desk drawer when I was looking for a spool of white thread and it hit me that I should display them in my jar. It sits on the ledge below my three windows with the new blue and white checked curtains I made this month. I put this photo on Instagram yesterday and people are loving it. Do you have a lot of thread too? Why not display it in one of those large lidded cookie jars like Ina and Martha use for flour on their cooking shows? I pulled out the spools of white and black thread and the heavy thread you use for sewing on buttons and put them in a drawer. I know I'll have to dump the jar if I need a specific color that might be buried in the center of my stash but I don't mind. It makes me happy to look at it when I'm up in my attic sewing room. See you later, xo.

16 comments:

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

That is a great idea and it is so colorful.

Content in a Cottage said...

Elizabeth @Pine Cones and Acorns --
I am glad you like my thread jar. It makes me happy to look at it.
xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

beautiful! in thought and vision! xo

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tammy, Thank you! It's such fun to repurpose items. I think my jar was designed to be a lantern with a big fat candle inside but I love it for my thread collection instead.
xo, Rosemary

GrammaGrits said...

What a great jar and lovely use of it - thanks for sharing the picture!

Linda Sand said...

What a lovely solution.

jane said...

I used to do that. But now I have one huge jar filled with empty wooden spools and another only partially filled with empty spools. They also look really nice in a sewing room.

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda Sand -- I love having a lifetime supply of things. I might need some of those wild thread colors for mending. I changed my bed linens today and the fitted sheet I pulled out to use had a three-corner tear and several other small holes. Up to the attic I went to do some darning on the sewing machine. I am slowly catching up on my mending. Normally, I would have put that sheet back in the linen closet and searched for another one.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Grandma Grits -- My pleasure. Glad you like the jar and the photo of it filled with spools of thread.
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

What a great idea, and so much better than blindly rummaging through a box of thread looking for the right one. You may have to do a little emptying, but at least you can see where you're going!

annette said...

What a great idea! I shall find a spot on a shelf and fill a container with spools of thread and place my jar of buttons next to it! Thank you so much,Rosemary!

Pam said...

Oh my, I love this idea! I have spools of thread from waaaay back---actually, I have thread that's probably 50 years old. However, my thread has been stuffed in a huge canvas bag. I'm going to the basement to search for a glass container. Rosemary, thanks for inspiring me!

Penelope Bianchi said...

Darning on a machine??!!? I have my Granny’s darning egg!! She taught me how to darn socks with it!! Not useful now but that time with her was a treasure I hold dear!! I was so lucky to have her!!

Penelope Bianchi said...

Brilliant and creative idea with the thread!!!

Jacqueline said...

What a fantastic idea! For many years I worked for Ball Corporation so I have some large Ball jars. I am going to go do this right now. Thanks for the inspiration.

Content in a Cottage said...

Penelope Bianchi -- Penny, I have a darning egg that I use for woolen socks. I needed the strength of sewing machine darning for my sheets though. Now they have many more years left in them and I have the satisfaction of bringing them back into use.
xo, Rosemary