Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Door Knocker and Green Kale


I finally have a door knocker on my front door.



This was another job for my handyman on Saturday. It is the original antique door knocker that came on my old front door stored in my garage. It is solid and doesn't have a window. I saved all the old hardware and this antique door knocker and 21 years later it is finally back where it belongs. I polished it with stove polish and I absolutely love it. Two holes had to be drilled through the door and there were no bolts to attach on the other side. I was able to find the perfect ones that fit and completely covered the handmade screws after I wrapped them with teflon dental floss to make them a little fatter. I am so thankful I purchased various coffee cans and cigar boxes full of assorted hardware that have come to my aid so very often in home repairs. I am thrilled with this knocker and it's really loud. A friend stopped by today and I was in the far side of my house and I was able to hear her knocking so clearly. Another item checked off my TO DO LIST!



This green ornamental kale has a lovely white center. I bought 2 green ones and the other is in an urn I can see from my balcony and back kitchen window. I love this color too. Temps going down to 36° tonight. I still have things to do before the ground freezes like dig up the dahlias. They are still too pretty to do it before I absolutely have to.
xo

UPDATE: TWO PHOTOS BELOW SHOWING THE TWO PLASTIC NUTS TO ATTACH THE BOLTS TO THE INTERIOR SIDE OF MY DOOR.


When I paint these plastic "nuts" that hold on the bolts that are wrapped in Glide Dental Floss they will blend in with the door and be almost invisible.



I found two loose plastic nuts in my stash. I still have several of these complete nut and bolt sets in case I ever need them for another project. I have no idea what they were designed for. I'm just glad I had them here at home and did not have to go to the hardware store. 
I adored Rube Goldberg cartoons in the Sunday paper when I was growing up. I studied them carefully and now I figure out how to do things with what I've got. xo

5 comments:

Eileen in Fla. said...

Isn't it gratifying to check off those chores and projects that have been on 'the list' for ages? Fall is the perfect time for home accomplishments.

Content in a Cottage said...

Eileen in Fla. -- I couldn't agree more. It really is gratifying to actually do the things you have been putting off or dreaming about doing. Having good helpers and the proper tools has made all the difference for me. Fall is the perfect time to get ready for winter nesting. My attic is next. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

It's wonderful that you have the original door knocker to your cottage!! It looks great and to think you had to search for screws and found hand-made ones. (Sometimes it pays to hold onto pieces and bits!) Equally important is the fact that it works so well and you can hear it throughout your home. Good for you, Rosemary!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- The handmade screws were part of the door knocker elements. The square bolt holding on the swinging piece bangs into another square bolt with handmade screws. I call this piece the clanger. I was missing the bolt ends that screw in from the screw ends that protruded on the other side of the door in my vestibule. My Rube Goldberg method ended up working perfectly. I will add a couple of photos to this post so you can see the back side. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

POST UPDATED WITH TWO MORE PHOTOS. XO, ROSEMARY