Saturday, July 23, 2022

William Merritt Chase Group Portrait (his family)


Beautiful family portrait. Portrait Group (Dorothy, Helen, and Bob) (c.1904). William Merritt Chase (American, 1849-1916). Oil on canvas. North Carolina Museum of Art.

Chase first met his wife, Alice Bremond Gerson, in 1879 when she was only thirteen, and still known as Posey. He married her on 8 February 1886, although some sources claim it was 1887, when she was nineteen and he was thirty-six. Initially, the couple lived with William’s parents in Brooklyn before moving to their own place in Greenwich Village. Between the years 1887 and 1904, Alice bore a total of eleven children, of whom seven are believed to have survived childhood. They include Dorothy, Helen, and Bob, depicted in this work. 
photo found here 

Yesterday I went to an early afternoon movie with two girlfriends to see Where The Crawdads Sing and enjoyed it thoroughly. Have a great weekend.

6 comments:

Lisa D. said...

What a lovely painting. Thank you for the movie recommendation. There are not many movies that will get me to the theater these days, but this is one of them. I hate to admit this, Rosemary - I have the book but have not yet read it. Have you?

Coco said...

That's a beautiful painting. I've seen William Merritt Chase portraits in person and they're gorgeous.

My book club read Where the Crawdads Sing and we're planning to go see the movie too. We loved the book and we were hoping the movie wouldn't disappoint so I'm glad to hear that you thought it was good.

Pam said...

I love this style of painting. There's a softness yet it has clarity. Such beautiful shading.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but could hardly put the book (Where the Crawdads Sing) down. Kya is an amazing character. Hope you're having a good weekend, Rosemary!

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa D. -- Lisa, DON'T READ THE BOOK before you see the movie. My two friends and I had not read it so it definitely made the film more enjoyable. I love the style of this WMC painting too and the history behind it. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Coco -- You are so fortunate to have seen his paintings in person. When your book group sees the movie, I guarantee nobody will be disappointed with the book to film adaptation. Enjoy. My theater had been remodeled since the last time I was there and the big reclining seats were fabulous. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Yes, this painting is exceptional! I hope you will go to see the movie. Go in the afternoon when the theater isn't crowded and I know you will enjoy it too. xo, Rosemary