Sunday, July 31, 2022

Peter Rabbit Book 1914 Story by Beatrix Potter Illustrated by Virginia Albert






I HAD NO IDEA BEATRIX POTTER BOOKS WERE EVER ILLUSTRATED BY ANYONE ELSE! This book was published in 1914 and we are so thankful it has been digitized by Project Gutenberg as an eBook. It appears to be a very large children's book. See every page and read the story. Most are full page color illustrations but some are black and white. READ HERE.

See a video of a bookseller holding and talking about Beatrix Potter's 1902 first edition HERE.

Have a great Sunday. 


XO

3 comments:

Pam said...

This was news to me, too, Rosemary. I thought Beatrix Potter illustrated all of her books. I just had to read Peter Rabbit, again. Isn't it amazing how we can read simple, old story books, and identify with the characters. I guess that's what makes them classics. Thanks for the info, Rosemary! Hope you had a nice weekend.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Maybe Beatrix Potter gave the illustration rights for her stories in BIG BOOKS to other artists. She illustrated all the small books for tiny hands herself with little "readers" in mind. I read this book again too and enjoyed it too. We keep learning new things about Beatrix Potter every day! My weekend was nice but too short. xo, Rosemary

Coco said...

Reading that was thoroughly enjoyable and your different illustrator theory sounds plausible. I haven't looked at Beatrix Potter books in years but did love reading them to my children just as much as I loved reading them when I was young.

Susan Branch, the Martha's Vineyard artist and author often draws on the tradition of saying "rabbit, rabbit" on the first day of the month to bring good luck for the rest of the month. After seeing your post, I saw that today is the first of the month so my first words of the day were "rabbit, rabbit". Now thanks to you, I'll have good luck!