Saturday, June 4, 2022

White Peonies on Saturday Morning

My whites are making a comeback! Now you can see why I am so fond of them. Peony season is short but I still enjoy the deep green foliage after clipping back all the spent flowers.

What to do with peonies after blooming?
Only remove the spent blooms, and don't cut away any foliage (the plant will need those leaves to help build up flowers for next year). For herbaceous peonies, you can cut the whole plant to the ground after a fall frost has killed off the foliage. In the spring new growth will appear from the roots. xo

3 comments:

Lisa D. said...

Peonies are my favorite flowers, and I love flowers!

Pam said...

Good advice, Rosemary. I only cut the spent blooms off, too. Did you know that peonies can live for up to 100 years?! I was looking for the name of an old variety my mom used to have, and ran across that fact.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I tried to dig up some peonies when a friend sold her circa 1900 farmhouse and it was impossible without a backhoe. They gave new meaning to "grow where you're planted"😂 She had a whole row of my pink variety. They are easy to grow and like to be left alone! Thanks for finding the history of their longevity. xo, Rosemary