Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Christmas Again by Carl Larsson 1907


 Carl Larsson 'Now is it Christmas Again' 1907 
 “Nu är det jul igen” 
(Now it is Christmas time again) 
This is an old Scandinavian Christmas song. 
It is often sung while dancing around the Christmas tree. 
 The painting shows the interior of Carl Larsson's home in Sweden at Christmas time. 
 The huge oil painted triptych is held at the Helsingborgs Museum.
Among family members in colorful costumes he has placed 
the virgin Mary and baby Jesus in front of the cupboard in the center.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I love his paintings! I haven't seen this one, for some reason. Thank you for sharing it. It was fun to be able to enlarge it and study it.

Pam said...

When I was a young girl, my family moved to Minnesota. We lived in a rural area where Swedish heritage was honored. I remember seeing large posters of Larsson's work in an art shop and liked him immediately. Recently, I researched him and learned that he had a difficult childhood and his early days as an artist were challenging. After he met and married his wife (also an artist), they had a large family and created a happy home, which was often the inspiration behind his works. Christmas Again is a lovely painting.

Anonymous said...

this is wonderful! I haven't seen it before.
I never imagined his home being very large for some reason.
there was always a sense of coziness to it that appealed to me... yet with the Scandi minimal qualities I love.
I can see that I need to do some research about him and his life. xo