Sunday, May 30, 2021

Blackberry Winter at My Cottage


I broke down and turned on my heat this morning. I can't believe how cold my cottage is and my hands are like icebergs. I have put away almost everything related to winter, my draft dodgers under all my doors, my down comforter, and other things like that. My mother used to call this weather Blackberry Winter but summer doesn't officially start for another three weeks. I found this royalty-free image of blackberry leaves encased in a hoar frost and I thought it was perfect.

Enjoy the Memorial Day Weekend and stay warm if you have unseasonably cold weather too. xo


3 comments:

Lisa D. said...

I wish you could send some of that cooler weather my way. It's already too warm for my tastes, and it looks as though California is going to have another parched, dry, arid summer, and sadly, another drought!

JudyMac said...

Ditto! I hate to drag things back out at this late date. Mid-50’s here last night and a simple sheet was just not enough to sleep warm.

Hope you’ve had a nice weekend. My squirrels are so hungry they are eating the blossoms off my late-blooming azaleas. I hate to entice them, but will try to find them some dried corn later this week. A little Carolina wren is now building a nest in the bluebird house. You should see the size of the sticks it has pulled into that tiny entrance hole. What a worker!

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- I am still sleeping under a comforter but this weekend I will think I can safely put it away for the summer as the whole week thereafter will be in the 80s and 90s. Your Carolina Wrens will give you a lot of pleasure and they can be trusted with Bluebird eggs next year, unlike my House Wrens. I know what you mean about the piles of sticks they are bringing into your bird box before building the nest on top. They are extremely energetic for their tiny size. Enjoy the beginning of summer.
xo, Rosemary