Sunday, April 11, 2021

Blooming Hellebore in My Garden


I worked outside yesterday from dawn until dark. The Hellebore I planted last spring is spectacular and such a welcome spring flower that survived beautifully after being buried under two feet of snow for so long. I neglected to write down the name of this Lenten Rose but I think it must be Spring Party. I searched online and found a photo.


The mature foliage on my hellebore looks exactly like this. The leaves are large and leathery. I am very happy to have this old fashioned plant in a corner of my front walled garden. Photo found here.


I clipped off all the giant mature leathery leaves that looked like the photo above because they were just lying on the ground and didn't look tidy after my spring cleanup.

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Very nice I love hellebores!

Content in a Cottage said...

Catherine -- Hellebores are great performers in a shade garden and are so welcoming this time of year.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

The early blooming plants are such a welcome sight! Your are lovely, Rosemary. Those colors are gorgeous!

Unknown said...

The hellebores are just gorgeous but did you know that they multiply almost over night? When I had my old house (c. 1858) the previous owner had planted a few which rapidly mutated into lots and lots of hellebores.

My advice: the first time you see an offshoot, weed it right out of there! A dibber works best as it will get the roots.

I also planted some of the offshoots into large clay planters and the color of the clay and the purple were just gorgeous together! As I lived in Virginia, they bloomed almost year round. I just heaped dead leaves on top for January - March to protect them but Connecticut would require more - as you already know.

Good luck and I have been enjoying the bird stories, too!

S

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- The early blooming spring flowers are a definitely a sight for sore eyes. I am happy with the color I picked at the nursery last year when shopping for one hellebore. It is perfect for the corner of my garden.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

S -- I will be on the lookout for offshoots. Right now there is plenty of room for my hellebore to spread and I will welcome a bigger plant. It's good to know it will multiply quickly and easily so I can transplant the shoots to other locations I can see from my windows.
xo, Rosemary