Thursday, January 7, 2021

Organizing My Attic

This is a detail of an area in my attic office that I have been organizing off and on for days. I am doing everything properly, not just stashing things hurriedly. I have shredded, filed, and recycled all my papers and boxes. My kitchen is looking nice too and for the first time in a long time, there's nothing on my farm table that doesn't belong there. I posted this photo on Instagram several days ago and have gotten many comments about the old Dundee Marmalade crocks I use for pencils and markers. How many of these have I owned over the years? I really don't know but I wish I had more but now they are scarce. The first few weeks of the new year are perfect for getting things back in order and for donating the things we no longer want or need. I have been deleting files, old emails, text messages, and duplicate photos on my computer and phone too. Almost everybody I know has been purging too. How about you? xo

3 comments:

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

I should seriously be doing the same thing. This year has been a ton of stress so things have been left everywhere...like an interrupted thought. I'm normally such a neat, tidy person. However all sorts of items have been dropped on a table either in the dining room or kitchen, piles are building on (and under) my desk in my art studio, an unusual buying spree of clothes with nowhere to put them without reorganizing our closet, armoire, dresser...just crazy. It all says "stress" to me. I've gained weight and don't think I can even get back on my diet until all this craziness w/ politics is resolved. I may never tidy again if we're not a free country!

Content in a Cottage said...

JEANNE ILLENYE -- Jeanne, Try organizing one thing at a time. Start with your dining room table. Put away all your Christmas things. Shred, file, and recycle all the papers you don't need. I put my junk mail in a special bin after I have ripped off the address label on the envelope and any information inside the solicitation containing my name. I put the ripped off items in a little basket on my attic door to take upstairs for shredding. I do this immediately after bringing in my mail. I would say getting your papers in order should be a priority so you won't be overly stressed when tax time rolls around. Rome wasn't built in a day. Maybe organize your shoes in your closet. I think it helps to make your bed every morning, a task that sets the tone for the day. Baby steps. Do little things every day and before you know it, you will be feeling better and better. Good luck!
xo, Rosemary

JEANNE ILLENYE said...

Great tips, Rosemary! I'm waiting for hubby to finish some woodwork in my closet then I can finish repainting it a lovely, warm, golden historic Colonial Williamsburg color. I have new cubbies (I know you love cubbies, too) for my shoes but I've now exceeded that with recent purchases so need more...yikes! Making one's bed every morning is a great way to feel in control, and it's very calming to enter later and see things tidy, soothing and welcoming. Ohhh...and Christmas decorations, oh my! Well, I have hundreds of ornaments on our living room tree & a second tree in the mudroom is not as full, and 3 huge garlands (stairs & 2 fireplaces) plus much more. It takes me several days to decorate the living room tree and taking it all down is slower. Hubby laughs that it's Christmas here until nearly Easter! An exaggeration but still...thankfully he laughs about it!