Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Activity at My Birdfeeder

As you can see, the birds have discovered my feeder. I have identified goldfinches, several nuthatches, cardinals, downy woodpeckers, red-headed woodpeckers, starlings (ugh), bluejays, rose-breasted grosbeaks, and mourning doves. Some are ground feeders only to clean up the mess on the decking for me. I am enjoying having them around once again and my new arrangement is working beautifully. I don't have trees near my balcony so there are no squirrels and that's a big plus. No bears can get up there either and yes, they are in my area. I thought I might have to take the feeder in at night but I don't. I am definitely going to have to hunt for less expensive bird food and will go to the bulk feed store nearby to see what they have. I don't want the unshelled sunflower seeds for sure because of the debris I would have to sweep up. I took this photo with my Nikon to get the action. I'll keep you posted on new bird sightings as the weather gets colder. The bluebirds have been going in and out of the bluebird house. They stay all winter and it's always a thrill to see them. See you later. xo

6 comments:

Joanne S said...

We have found that mixes containing a large percentage of millet are NOT GOOD choices.
Black Sunflower seeds are the best ones.

Content in a Cottage said...

Joanne S -- Thank you. I know about that cheap birdseed and so do the birds. They don't even like it so I will not be buying it. I am going to investigate what is available in large bags that I can store in a covered garbage can. Happy bird feeding to you and all of my readers.
xo, Rosemary

Lisa D. said...

What a great picture, and your birds are so beautiful, Rosemary.

Mundi said...

I’ve no idea whether you live in an agricultural area or not but if you do most ‘feed stores’ will carry large bags of hulled sunflower seeds.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mundi -- Thank you. I bought a 25 pound bag yesterday. The birds thank you too.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Rosemary, I missed this post yesterday. Wow, you're really attracting a wide variety of birds. I bet you'll really enjoy watching them. It's fun to see them "interacting" with each other.