Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Current Obsession: LOVEJOY on AcornTV

As I have discussed many times, I cut the cord with cable last fall and haven't looked back. I have an inexpensive indoor antenna and I get plenty of channels free of charge on my Air Antenna from Walmart. I bought a used Apple TV, 3rd Generation for $45 for my living room TV. I bought it on the NEXTDOOR APP from a neighbor. It is fine for me since I don't have a smart TV and don't mind searching for something to watch on my iPad. I just got a Chromecast 3rd Generation for my bedroom TV from Target for $29.99. My bedroom TV set is not connected to anything but the electric plug. It doesn't have the rabbit ears antenna my living room set has. I hooked up the Chromecast and now I can stream 2000+ Apps from my iPad. I am in heaven. Lately I have been watching all the old LOVEJOY programs I used to enjoy on PBS. It is a very old series that I discovered very late before PBS canceled the show in my area. It is all about an antiques dealer in England and his two sidekicks and each episode involves a mystery of some sort. The character who plays interior designer Lady Jane is Mrs. Hughes on Downton Abbey when she was young. You will recognize her voice immediately. Read more about this delightful 6-Season program here. I just finished Season 3 and have three more seasons to go. I watch at least one episode every night in my bedroom. I think Acorn TV is the best streaming service to have and the most reasonably priced. If you sign up for one year it's only $5 per month. LOVEJOY is so old you can only find it in a search on Acorn. The cell phones from this time period are are HUGE! Let me know if you are already a fan. If you are not, let me know when you become one. xo

17 comments:

Constance said...

Hi

I stream Acorn and Brit Box and love them both. I too cut the cord on cable. This way I get to watch what I love and not pay for a lot of stuff that I have no interest in. Thanks for your post.

Constance

Content in a Cottage said...

Constance -- I only wish I hadn't waited so long. I decided on AcornTV as my first paid purchase since it had Australian and New Zealand programming in addition to British. I was caught up in A Place to Call Home at the time and loved it. I've heard only good things about BritBox. I also love being in control of what I watch and saving money at the same time.
xo, Rosemary

Leslie said...

I watched and adored Lovejoy, which I also think aired on BBC America 20 years ago. Ian McShane was terrific in it (and still is a superb actor), same with Phyllis Logan as Lady Jane Felsham. It was always a treat to watch - glad you're enjoying it again.

Content in a Cottage said...

Leslie -- I just looked up the dates for Lovejoy 1986-1994. It's good to get another opinion about the show. It took me all of Season One to place Lady Jane's face with Mrs. Hughes. She really hasn't changed much at all and I love the fact that English actors have such staying power and can continue to work as they age.
xo, Rosemary

sandy lawrence said...

I adored the old Lovejoy, never missed it on PBS.

You may be interested in this:

https://www.whatsontv.co.uk/news/ian-mcshane-lovejoy-return-modern-day-update-584736/

Wonder if this iteration will be as good as the original?

Unknown said...

I found Lovejoy pretty much the same way - by accident as I was looking for something else. I love the show and Ian McShane is just so good-looking, too.I have BritBox and Acorn and can get the PBS shows - new and old - so I am a happy camper, too!

Content in a Cottage said...

sandy lawrence -- Thanks so much for the link and the possibility of a modern remake of Lovejoy. It can't possibly be as good as the original but I look forward to watching the reproduction.
xo, Rosemary

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

I loved this show! I haven't watched it in years. Enjoy.

Content in a Cottage said...

Elizabeth @ Pine Cones and Acorns -- Elizabeth, It's worth another look. It is fun to see many of the guest appearances that you didn't know when the show was new that went on to become famous. The episode I watched last night about the search for Mary Queen of Scot's billiards table had a VERY young Martin Clunes, now famous for Doc Martin.
xo, Rosemary

Pat said...

I appreciate your recommendations for movies and TV programs. Thank you! They always seem to hit the mark with me. I look for to checking out Lovejoy this evening. Thanks to Acorn and Britbox I am enjoying watching TV once again.

Content in a Cottage said...

Pat -- Keep watching. It takes a while to get to "know" the characters and fall in love with them. If you like antiques and auctions, you will love it from the start. I'm so glad I could help you find something to watch that you might never have found by yourself.
xo, Rosemary

annette said...

Many years ago I watched Lovejoy on PBS and am so happy to know that I can watch him again on Acorn. Cable is a thing of the past with me as long as I have PBS and Acorn I am set. xo

Content in a Cottage said...

annette -- I'm with you. Acorn and PBS are all I need too.
xo, Rosemary

LANA said...

I love Acorn! Also there is a series called "A Place To Call Home" if you haven't already seen it - it's very addicting! Is your indoor antenna the "air" one from Walmart or are they separate from each other? Thanks Lana

Content in a Cottage said...

LANA -- I have the "air" antenna from Walmart but it appears to be out of stock. I have to move it around from time to time depending on weather conditions. I adored "A Place To Call Home" and joined Acorn because of it. I couldn't stand waiting a whole week between episodes on PBS. I am in the final season of Lovejoy and will be looking for another series soon. Aorn and Air TV provide everything I need.
xo, Rosemary

Karen said...

I loved Lovejoy so much I bought the whole series on DVD. I NEVER get tired of watching them over and over . . . such a well done series! Ian McShane is such a delight . . . I love Tinker and his relationship with Lovejoy and of course Lady Jane. An outstanding production.

Content in a Cottage said...

Karen -- I feel the same way about that series. You can watch them over and over and never get tired. They were filmed in actual mansions and were not staged. The actors were so lovable too. That DVD set was a great purchase.
xo, Rosemary