Friday, June 5, 2020

Peony Love at My Cottage

This white single peony is always the first to bloom. Photographed yesterday with an insect as a bonus. When these whites bloom, they are always faintly pink in the opening stage.

The pink mop head peonies will be opening soon.

The red ones are singles too and are about ready to pop.

I don't know if you remember this mystery plant from last year that planted itself in my garden. I have no idea how it got there and I am on the fence about liking it but don't have the heart to dig it up. It has already spread quite a bit. It's called Spider Wort and the leaves are an electric yellow and bright green. The purple flowers grow in clustered pods and bloom once before another pod opens up with a new flower. 

I found this photo on Instagram @eyesasbigasplates and couldn't resist making a screenshot to show you the largest giant red rhubarb I have ever seen. What is it about Norway that makes it grow so large? One stalk would be enough for a pie. I hope these girls were able to share this crop with friends.

It has been raining for the past several days and I have been catching up with paperwork in my attic office. See you later. xo

2 comments:

Pam said...

Your peonies are already lovely, but I know as they open up, they'll become more beautiful. I actually think the Spider Wort is attractive, but since it self-seeded, it might not be exactly where you want it. Gosh, I have rhubarb envy! Love it, but we haven't been able to grow it on our farm. Have a great weekend, Rosemary!! xoxo

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam :: All three varieties of peonies have opened and held up well despite the downpours they have endured. I was thinking of moving the spiderwort out by my mailbox and let it run wild. You should try red stemmed rhubarb again and plant some crowns in the fall. You are supposed to cut the flowers so all the growth energy goes to the stalks. Have a nice weekend too.
xo, Rosemary