Sunday, March 29, 2020

Sunday Morning Views at My Cottage and a Mask

A rarely shared corner of my living room this morning. That glow in my bookcase door is a Himalayan Salt Lamp. I leave it burning 24/7 with a 25W bulb inside. I have one in the basement too. I didn't even know what they were when I purchased them at the Annual Firehouse Sale last September. My friend knew immediately and she has one in almost every room in her house. She told me they helped purify the air and a lot of other things too. The one thing I have noticed is increased concentration. It could be all folklore but maybe not. I like the nice glow, so why not?
The one I have with a dimmer is available from Bed Bath and Beyond for $24.99. I leave mine on all the time and it makes a great night light. (Good luck, Penny.) 

I found this image on Instagram. It is probably photoshopped but maybe not. Masks were common in the Elizabethan era to help keep out the noxious odors everywhere. This one is quite beautiful.

I made a new garden I can see out my kitchen window. There is another new one to the left near the bluebird house to be photographed later. I had the antique sundial already and the base is something I have had for a long time but wasn't using. It is perfect among the snowdrops and daffodils transplanted from different locations on my property. This was a fun project that started very early in February during the mild winter days. It sort of evolved with no plan. I just started out wanting to see my mother's daffodil clump near the house that I couldn't see without physically going outdoors. I planted them near the birdhouse and also planted a year-old packet of red poppy seeds, Papaver rhoeas. That was certainly a challenge, like planting ground black pepper, only finer. It took me forever to space them out a pinch at a time and I'm happy to report they have sprouted and I am beyond thrilled. Nothing is blooming there currently since the snowdrops have stopped but will post when something springs forth. Stay inside and be safe. xo

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

We've kept our salt lamp going for several years now. Gosh, good to know it's improved my concentration as I would hate to see what it would have deteriorated to by now without the lamp! ;o)

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- I am still on my original lightbulb in my salt lamp. It is located to my favorite seat on my sofa. This is command central for me. It went out recently and I didn't decided to deal with it for a long period. When I started fiddling with it to change the bulb it went on again. I noticed an improvement in my concentration right away. I don't think it was my imagination either. I got a chuckle out of your comment.
xo, Rosemary

Penelope Bianchi said...

WHAT???? HIMALAYAN SALT LAMP???? IMPROVES CONCENTRATION??

I am 73 years old, diagnosed with ADD at 50 (believe me, I have had it all my life....."all those schools not asked back to"; and I have never heard of a Himalyan Salt Lamp?

I am going on line this second and finding one. If I can't I will hound you!

Content in a Cottage said...

Penelope Bianchi: Penny, The one I have is available at Bed Bath and Beyond. I will put the link in my post.
Mine is placed right next to my command central place on my sofa and I leave it on all the time. Be sure to get extra bulbs if you can. I have done a lot of reading about these lamps. Some people say they are a waste of money and others swear by them. I could never have one in my bedroom because I like complete darkness. The one where I sit is about 4 feet away from me. I really don't think it is my imagination because when it stopped working for a while I could tell the difference in my concentration. Let me know if yours helps.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Such a lovely bookcase in your living room. I enjoy seeing books on display, and your bindings are beautiful. I think you picked a great spot for planting your mom's daffodils. I hope you have good luck with your poppies!

Jean Ellen said...

Lucky you with the poppies. I have tried so many times, but never had success.

Content in a Cottage said...

Jean Ellen -- It's really too early to get excited about the poppies because a very invasive weed is in my new garden too and I dare not pull them out or I will rip out the poppy seedlings too. I will keep you posted. The seed packet said to sow the seeds in the fall or early spring. Did you try planting yours that way?
xo, Rosemary