Tuesday, March 10, 2020

My Old Clothes Line with Webster

As I mentioned in this old post, I lost all the trees to the right of my garage/barn after Superstorm Sandy but I still have the white pine on the left. Webster the Wonder Dog used to love watching me hang out the wash. All I need is a new post and I could have a clothes line again. I still manage quite well with drying things outside on wooden clothes racks and my balcony railing so all is not lost. In the winter, the clothes racks are perfect in my furnace room for all but large top sheets which I dry on my balcony. I love sleeping on sheets that have been dried outside and I can honestly report that sunshine leaves an aroma on them like no other. When I enter my bedroom after putting on clean linens, the whole room smells like sunshine. The items dried inside have no aroma at all because I use a detergent with no scent.
The sun can kill the Corona Virus bacteria that can live on fabric for 6-12 hours. Normal laundry detergent should kill it on items in the washing machine. Winter clothes that can't be washed can be put out in the sun to kill the virus. Continue to wash your hands often and be smart about being out in public. xo
PS: I just found an easy recipe for DIY: Homemade Hand Sanitizer

8 comments:

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek said...

I'm in agreement with you Rosemary regarding the benefits & pleasure of hanging clothes outside. Sheets are the absolute best. My property is filled with large trees, so I would rather not battle birds. I do have a walkout basement with porch above, so that is where my clothesline is. I also find odd places inside the cabin to hang things in the winter, but I do use my dryer mostly in the cold weather. Your setting for your line reminds me of one I had when we lived in Ohio...it caught the best breezes.

...all is grace!

Content in a Cottage said...

Anita ~ the cabin on the creek -- Anita, I have a walk-out basement too with a small deck off a sliding glass door and a balcony over the rest. The radiators in my cottage come in handy for quick drying in the winter. I air and sun my eiderdown comforter every several days to plump it up. I love the power of sunshine and the open air. Your setup at your cabin sounds perfect.
xo, Rosemary

Penelope Bianchi said...

I love that view of the barn. Terrible about the trees, but very glad the pine is left!

I miss Webster the wonder dog! He was adorable!

Pam said...

I believe I'm the only one in my neighborhood who still uses a clothesline, but I'm a big believer in the power of the sun. It helps to bleach your whites and nothing compares to that lovely outdoors fragrance! I hadn't even thought about it fighting viruses, but I'm sure it does. Thanks for that info, Rosemary!

SuSu said...

I loved "Webster the Wonder Dog" and his kitty friend, Tabitha (I think?) - their adventures were simple yet wonderful!

I wish I could hang sheets out and I am hoping that my next move will provide me with some green space! I love the smell, too - it reminds me of my childhood!

BarbV said...

When I was a child, we didn't have a clothes dryer and my mom hung everything out to dry. I can still remember climbing into bed on the days she changed the sheets and just inhaling the wonderful fragrance. It's a wonderful memory.

Vickie H. said...

Sub-dried linens: what a luxury! Sounds so divine. Love this pic of Webster...he was such a sweet, devoted companion. Spring is almost here!

Lisa D. said...

What a wonderful picture of Webster in front of your cottage in the woods! Yes, there is something divine about laundry that is dried outdoors in the sun. (I think it's the UV rays that kill bacteria.) Sadly, I think my Fisher & Paykel clothes dryer has lived it's life after only five years, consequently I won't be buying another one from them. We've had unusual early Spring-like weather here in northern CAL, and not nearly enough rain. Good for hanging laundry outside, but not if there is another drought. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there we'll have some good rainstorms this month or next.