Thursday, February 28, 2019

Vintage Laundry Sinks on Stands

I spotted these old porcelain beauties on cast iron stands at a Broker Open House earlier this week. I have a double porcelain sink in my own kitchen (click link to view) and would love to have these two for my finished basement. One for the laundry room and the other for the summer kitchen. I, personally, like having a laundry room in my basement. I have drying racks in the furnace room for the items I don't like to put in the dryer. Not pretty, but practical. I think one of the sinks above is being used as a drain for a dehumidifier. At one time the washer and dryer were down here but now they are upstairs in this antique house. I am probably the only real estate agent who toured this home and found beauty in the basement. Smile. xo

5 comments:

Pam said...

Porcelain sinks and tubs are really hard to beat. I love their smooth finish and soaking in a porcelain bathtub is such a pleasure. This laundry area looks very functional and you could clean just about anything in such deep tubs. My laundry room is on the main floor of our home, and it's been a good thing since I struggled with some health challenges over the years that would have made carrying laundry up and down the stairs pretty hard. That being said, I miss being able to leave drying racks set up and also keeping the extra lint/dust downstairs instead of it wafting through the main level. I think it's admirable that you found beauty in this basement. If walls (and sinks) could talk, oh my, there'd be tales to tell!

Joanne S said...

My grandmother had a full set of these sinks--no enamel though. Used with her wringer washer.
Also used during canning season--I am reminded of bushels of peaches in one sink and peels in the other.
She had a stove down there also for the canning. I though all houses were set up like that back in the 1950's.
Wish mine was.

mia said...

Joanne, you're describing my grandmother, too. When I think back to her house, I'm chagrined by how hard she worked to run her household. She worked so much harder than I do, with a better outcome.
Rosemary, again you're finding those items that were designed to last and function well over a long period of time. I wonder if we'll ever swing back to that mindset again.

Vickie H. said...

I absolutely LOVE these. Went back to your post from 2010 and had to comment there! With your sharp eye, Rosemary, I have no doubt you will likely stumble upon one or both sinks like this in the very near future. Your home has such character and suits you perfectly. Thank you for sharing.

itztru said...

You would be so much fun to tour broker open houses with! These are beauties!