Monday, October 8, 2018

Tennis: Katharine Hepburn in 1981

She was 74 in this tennis photo. I recently watched part of a movie on TCM entitled PAT AND MIKE with Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy. I didn't finish it because I thought the plot was too silly. I started watching it because the host who introduced the film said she actually played all the athletic parts, mainly golf and tennis and she was so good at both in real life. She also was an excellent swimmer and sailor but I don't know if she did either in the movie. Her father stressed the importance of exercise and she followed his advice and was active almost to the end of her life at age 96. 

I don't do any sports these days and I try to stay out of the sun. Walking, gardening, lawn work, and housework are about the only things I do with any regularity. Have you ever heard the old saying, "Housework, if done correctly, will kill you." That always makes me laugh. I haven't done mine correctly in a long time and I can see the wisdom behind the quote.
xo

6 comments:

Linda said...

Oh, how lovely she is in this photo . . . look at her riveting concentration. Katherine Hepburn always has fascinated me.

Your "sports" are mine also, Rosemary. Yet, the insufferable humidity, rain, and abundant mosquitoes brought about by these has limited time spent walking and gardening . . . perhaps that's why I like you once again have turned to the inside of our little home with a focus generally reserved for shut in wintery days. I shall go where these inclinations take me and celebrate small triumphs which need no trophy.

Fellow hall of famer, may this be a great day.

Linda Sand said...

The people I know who've lived healthfully into their 90s were all walkers their entire lives. I wish I'd know that back in my 20s.

Unknown said...

Desk Set is a good Tracy/Hepburn movie. Good story, funny and memorable lines, "Quit fussing that budget." And Hepburn's character has a charming apartment I feel sure will meet with your approval.

Thank you for continuing your blog, I stop in most days. Your discerning eye always provides a peaceful, calming spot of beauty for my day.

With warm regards,
Elizabeth Speicher

Jeannine said...

I love all those old Katharine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy movies!

Unknown said...

I've always admired Katharine Hepburn but not all of her movies. Some, of course, stand out. I love her quick repartee...she had to be very intelligent to memorize all those lines. I'm kinda shocked that the photo puts her at only 74, mostly because of the age spots on the back of her hands. It's a good thing to stay out of the sun and to always use sunblock since the sun ages our skin so badly. Enjoy blog so much, Rosemary. Thanks, Linda

The Queen Vee said...

She was an interesting woman, no plastic surgery for her. I really like that she aged naturally and tried to stay active for as long as she could. Bringing up baby with Cary Grant is one of my FAV Kate Hepburn movies.

I try to walk three miles a day, a necessity if I'm to keep type 2 diabetes at bay along with cutting back on carbs drastically. I haven't done as well the past few months as home to dos, gardening and entertaining have required a lot of effort and energy. It is now back to the gym for me though as the weather gets colder and not as hospitable for long walks.