Monday, September 10, 2018

Socks for My Ironing Board in Attic

Don't laugh. I made a long stocking and two little socks for the legs of the ironing board in my attic. I used remnants from an old Fair Isle sweater vest that had holes in it. I tried leaving my ironing board up all the time but it was in the way. Leaning it against the wall was leaving marks that I was able to remove with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Yesterday, I got the bright idea to make covers for the three legs. I made a stocking for the long leg and was able to turn the fabric inside out to hide the seams. The other two legs were too narrow so the seams of the short socks are on the outside, trimmed closely. It was a quick project with wonderful results. A friend gave me this sign since everybody always asks my advice for some reason. They know how grounded I am and they see the wise choices I have made for myself. I have it hanging here when the ironing board isn't being used. 

Here is another view of my attic workroom. The flat file is full of antique prints. I am still working up here and will post other views soon. We are having fall weather all week with no sun until Saturday. I need to bring in my house plants before it gets any cooler. It is noontime and the temperature is only 61° outside. I melted all last with the central air running night and day so I am not complaining about the abrupt weather change. I know we will have some more warmer days before fall sets in for good. I'm going to put the cover on my outside air conditioning unit though. I refuse to use it again until next year. Have a good Monday. xo

5 comments:

Pam said...

You really are clever, Rosemary. I never would have thought of making socks for the ironing board legs. However, I find myself working hard to protect walls from marks (probably because I don't enjoy painting anymore).

The Queen Vee said...

It all looks so organized and tidy with a place for everything. Where does that interesting door lead to? Now if I was visiting your attic workroom I know what I would like to check out first thing, those flats files full of antique prints.

The Queen Vee said...

Oh and the sign "Advice from Rosemary", perfect and truthful!

Content in a Cottage said...

The Queen Vee -- Victoria, that door next to the flat file goes into my wrapping room, mailing room. It has a paper cutter, a big roll of brown paper on a stand with built in cutter, all my tape supplies plus lots of other stuff. There is concealed storage on both sides. One side has my air conditioning air handler. There is no heat or A/C in that little room. I blogged about it once. The second photo in this blog post is a picture of it:
https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2014/10/great-sewing-and-craft-work-room.html
I will try to post another photo one of these days. It still looks pretty much the same. I am trying to get all of my tools in this room instead of scattered all over.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

The Queen Vee -- Victoria, It just dawned on me that you might be asking about the door with the clipped corner to the right of my ironing board. That door opens to a closet that is 17 inches deep and has a ceiling that is partially sloped. The clipped corner shows the angle of the roofline before the dormer was added. I am so glad I decided to put in a full dormer so I could stand up and have windows and lots of natural light. I have two eyebrow windows on the front and no dormer so it still looks like a cottage.
xo, Rosemary