Monday, June 18, 2018

Around My Cottage Outside

Looking down from my balcony. Keep your eye focused on something sticking out beside my limelight hydrangea in the bright sun in the area above the red geranium.

I discovered this long-forgotten dog made from terra cotta flower pots in my barn/garage and now he's my watchdog.

The lamb's ears I planted in this part of my back garden are blooming and standing tall and the humming birds love them.

Here's a closeup of the dog. A young rabbit had a standoff with him at dusk on the day I put him out over the weekend. It was so cute to watch from my bedroom window that is above the raised garden. There are remnants of hot glue in certain places where moss was once attached. I think this was project for a garden club contest at one time and I hope it was a prize winner. I got it at our annual firehouse flea market and auction years ago. It was very heavy to lug to my car but it made me smile and still does. It reminds me of Pluto and he seems right at home on this small patch of blacktop that is in my backyard for some reason. I think I will put a water dish out for him that the birds and chipmunks might enjoy. Happy Monday! xo

7 comments:

Mama Pea said...

The bees will like the water dish you put out for "Pluto" also. (Had to smile at the scene you will create by doing that!) We keep a large, shallow clay dish filled with water for our honey bees. We put a couple of flat stones in the water in the dish for the bees to land on when getting a drink. The birds would appreciate the stones to perch on, too.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- Thank you so much for the suggestions. I'm looking for the dog dish now and will put it out this morning while it is still relatively cool and before we reach 92° this afternoon. I will be sure to put in nice stones for the birds and the bees. I have a very shallow birdbath in the front that is much more popular than my deeper one.
xo, Rosemary

Kit said...

Oh he is so cute! I have never seen a "pot dog" before, only the people ones. I like him! :) Kit

Linda Sand said...

I'm loving my image of the dish of water in front of the dog. I found him in the first photo but had no idea what I'd found. :)

Content in a Cottage said...

Kit -- Glad you like him as much as I do. I put out the water dish on this very hot day for the critters that are brave enough to get close to him.
xo, Rosemary

Anonymous said...

I just love this little creature! What a perfect addition to your garden. I, too, will dig out a water dish for the bees. I'm doing everything I can in my garden to make them happy.

Vickie H. said...

This is absolutely WONDERFUL!!!