Thursday, May 17, 2018

A Sewing Project at My Cottage

This was my introduction to sewing as a child. I sewed doll clothes by hand. I love this illustration by Jessie Willcox Smith found on Google Images.

I really shouldn't show this photo yet because the pillow cases aren't right. I just threw them on while the proper ones were being laundered. This spread is my current completed sewing project. I purchased this large piece of old unbleached linen at an estate sale and hoped it would become my lightweight summer bedspread. It was already sewn in three panels. I brought it home and laundered it but the center panel was too wide and the two side panels were too long. So up to the attic I went to get reacquainted with my sewing machine. It was a pretty easy project and I'm pleased with the results. It was just a matter of measuring and a lot of ironing. I put French seams where the side panels were attached so there are no raw edges and I top stitched them too. The deep hem on the side panels is so much nicer than the shirt tail hem that was there before. I cannot sleep on or under anything but natural fabrics that breathe. If there is one drop of polyester or another synthetic, I can tell and it smothers me. This must make me a close cousin of The Princess and The Pea.
Now I'm thinking about making some new curtains for my attic windows that I can close in the summer to block the morning sun. Will keep you posted. xo

15 comments:

Beth said...

Lovely!
And I completely understand the sentiment behind "I shouldn't show this photo yet ..." (Hello, fellow perfectionist!) but I didn't notice the pillowcases until you mentioned them. I was looking at the dec pillow.
I love the idea of a linen coverlet for the warmer months and I love even more that you found a vintage piece that you could alter. I've just been poking around Parachute's web site!

Sherry said...

your bedroom is already lovely and this new
addition of vintage linen (in process..)
makes it even more welcoming. who wouldn't
want to spend ample time in this setting?! ♥

Mama Pea said...

Don't you just love finding something and making it your own? Good job!

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- Yes. I found this very satisfying and it rescued something that might have been thrown away if I hadn't come along. I am better at fixing a castoff than starting from scratch. I have some lovely chintz draperies that might be my next alteration. Also some blue and white buffalo checked panels I might re-make for the attic.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Sherry.
Thank you.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Beth -- I have never heard of the site you mentioned. Must look it up. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.
xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

Your summer spread looks great, and your bedroom is very inviting. Isn't it satisfying to create with our own two hands? Looks like you still have your sewing skills!

Lisa D. said...

Your bedroom looks so cozy and tranquil. This reminds me that I should get my sewing machine out and work on a few small projects I have. Thanks for sharing Rosemary.

jusaweecatnap said...

I love JWS's pictures, and this one fits in so sweetly with your story. Lovely results for a charming room.

Donna said...

I love linen also, just recycled linen drapes into pajamas, and pillowcases. Love linen sheets, clothes lined dried.

Beth said...

Here's the link to the linen offerings: https://www.parachutehome.com/collections/linen-bedding

Perhaps you'll find some friends for your spread!

Content in a Cottage said...

Beth -- Thanks for that link to Parachute. I might order a set of percale sheets.
xo, Rosemary

Kathy said...

I love your spread and your room! I’m also fussy about what I sleep under!

Vickie H. said...

Good job! What an inviting room!

The Queen Vee said...

I love the sewing lesson image, reminds me of my childhood sewing efforts too. My oldest sister, j was always a better seamstress, actually she was and is still better and most things than I. It was hard to be the kid after her. Like you,I prefer all natural fibers in both bedding and sleepwear....my sleeping partner is not quite as particular.

Rosemary, your bedroom is so lovely and peaceful, perfect for good sleeping. The new linen spread is a treasure as are your talents, you find the best stuff Rosemary.