Monday, April 15, 2013

Pizza for One

 
 

     What to cook when there is nothing to cook? Last night I made a personal pizza using a whole grain tortilla as the crust. I put my well-seasoned pizza stone in the oven at 450 while I was deciding on the toppings. I use Trader Joe's pizza sauce in a jar because it's decent and always on hand. The last pie I made had grilled zucchini slices on top but I didn't have any on hand. I cooked a pot of quinoa earlier in the day so I spread a layer of that on top of the sauce and frozen petite green peas scattered over the quinoa. Shaved parmesan cheese was the final layer. 
     I heated the stone for another 5 minutes after the assembly was complete. I kept an eye on it through the glass door in my oven after I slid the pizza off the peel. These thin things cook up very quickly. It was done in around 8 minutes and it was very good. I have to get a basil plant for future pies. Use your imagination throw one together yourself using what's on hand.

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Last summer (along with big salads from the garden) we almost lived on these pizzas made on tortillas because I was so wiped (or was I whipped?) after a day outside that I had no time or energy for anything else. Upon having one with us one night, our daughter commented, "Well, now that was the ultimate thin crust pizza!"

Anonymous said...

Your resourcefulness here reminds me of Laurie Colwin's wonder essay "ALONE IN THE KITCHEN WITH AN EGGPLANT". Have you read LC? If not, I think you'd enjoy her.

Content in a Cottage said...

Anon...

I have not read Laurie Colwin but I shall look online and see what I can find. Love the title of the book.

Thanks.
Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea...

Your daughter is right. The crust can't get any thinner than a tortilla crust.

The possibilities are endless for the toppings too.

xo, Rosemary

tammy j said...

genius!
and i love green peas. who'd have thought on a pizza! will try it.

LANA said...

I've done it with pita but never tortilla. I love easy. Gonna try this one!

Content in a Cottage said...

Lana and Tam....

Try something more traditional for your first tortilla pizza. You will love the thin crust.

xo, Rosemary

Stacey Snacks said...

I always make tortilla pizzas for lunch.....and the addition of the spring peas is very nice!
Delicious!

The Queen Vee said...

Cooking for one can be a challenge, you've just made it look easy and delicious. My guy would look at this and say, "Are you kidding me?" I look at it and think, "YUM!"