Friday, July 22, 2011

World Globe Ice Cream Cone

Treat yourself to something cool today. I must tell you that I am absolutely loving the creamy lemon popsicles I blogged about recently. I've made them 5 times so far and today I'll use the 6th lemon for another batch. I have adjusted the recipe for my taste.
 
Creamy Lemon Popsicles Recipe
1/2 cup sugar 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice The juice of one lemon (or lime) with pulp
2 Tbsp. grated lemon peel The zest on one lemon. Zest before juicing it.
pinch of salt not necessary
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
Whisk sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, and salt in a large bowl until sugar dissolves. Whisk in buttermilk.
Divide mixture among popsicle molds. Cover and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours and up to 5 days.

Here's how I make mine -- I just pour the buttermilk in a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup, add the sugar, stir until dissolved and then add the rest of the ingredients. I have a set of 6 tupperware popsicle molds and there is a little left over. I pour the extra into a heavy milk glass  cup. I run to the freezer often to stir the contents of the cup and have a bonus treat way before the popsicles have frozen completely. They are the most delicious and refreshing things for this kind of weather. I've experimented with other liquids. Once I used 3/4 cup of plain soy milk with 1/2 cup plain yogurt. That worked well too. I don't have any buttermilk so today I might try a batch with only soymilk and another batch with only yogurt. But wait...I only have one lemon so I may have to go out for more. I simply cannot be without these popsicles that delight my mouth with the perfect combination of sweet and sour. Enjoy.
Pin It

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to brave the heat and go out for lemons and buttermilk today. Thanks for this!

Anonymous said...

I also linked this to my post today on the heat wave -- it's so hot in D.C. today!

You have a lovely blog. I'm happy to have found it from Vanishing Threshold's blogroll. - Cindy

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

These sound heavenly!
My mom used to make something similar when I was little....
she would mix the juice of one lemon with one can of Eagle Brand condensed milk, then freeze it in a blue and white graniteware bowl (for some reason) and it would turn into a lemony sort of rich ice cream.
Yummy for sure. I would guess this tastes very similar!
xx
Alison