Sunday, May 8, 2011

Sunday Brunch on The Balcony with Quinoa


Who is Quinoa? Oh, you mean what is quinoa? It's considered to be a super food because it contains more protein than any other grain. The protein in quinoa is complete and contains all nine essential amino acids. It is especially high in lysine, methionine and cystine. Quinoa is rich in iron, calcium, riboflavin, potassium, B6, niacin and thiamin. It’s also a good source of manganese, copper, zinc, magnesium, phosphorus and folate. Another great reason to eat quinoa is that it’s high in dietary fiber. Okay, enough of the technical stuff. 

I bought some quinoa at Whole Foods and those tiny little seeds have been sitting in a jar in the refrigerator staring at me every time I open the door. I found a recipe that looked promising for Quinoa Burgers so that became the start of my Sunday Mother's Day Brunch. I always improvise. I didn't have any green onions so I coppped a whole white onion. I didn't have any carrots so I added 1 cup of frozen organic mixed vegetables and cut the green beans with the kitchen shears after they defrosted. I added more cottage cheese than was called for. I omitted the sugar, doubled the cumin and added 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar too. I decided not to fry the burgers but to make a frittata instead in my cast iron wok. I sprayed the bottom with olive oil using my Misto. I put the shredded cheddar cheese on top and baked it at 375 for about 40 minutes. It was delicious and I will definitely make it again and again. Next time I will add halved grape tomatoes and kalamata olives for more intense flavor. Broccoli or asparagus would be good too. This is something to play around with and make it your own. It baked up like a crustless quiche just as I knew it would. It was a 'super' brunch.


6 comments:

Whittron said...

I just started making stuff with quinoa, I will be making this quiche soon!

Gail, in northern California said...

What a perfect way to celebrate Mother's Day..something very healthy she would approve of. It has everything we need and more, and I love how you improvised. Top it off with a small glass of orange juice and you're pretty near set for the day. No wonder your mom is in her 90's.

The Queen Vee said...

Good for you Roasemary, It looks to me like you created an entirely new recipe :-}

Susan Freeman said...

I have loved quinoa from the first time I tasted it. Delish!! Thanks for another recipe for using this tasty and healthy grain.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Unknown said...

Oooh that's lovely! Love that you took a look at the recipe and then substituted everything in it. I, too, bought a bag of Quinoa from Whole Foods which has been smiling at me ominously from the pantry. I'm not the adventuresome type. My daughter's doctor suggested Quinoa because Sarah's a vegetarian and won't eat tofu or rice and beans. So you've begun my Quinoa adventure for me. Thank you! I'll open that bag today.....or maybe tomorrow.

LANA said...

I tried quinoa in the past but was not sure what to do with it. HOWEVER, after reading your post I think I will give it another try. Sometimes the best recipes are the ones we ad-lib! Your brunch sounds delicious. Lana www.lifeatwildberrycottage.com