Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second in 1954

Beautiful then. Beautiful now.

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, Queen of Australia and Her other Realms and Territories, Head of the Commonwealth. This painting is being auctioned in Australia. Don't fail to read the great story about William Dargie’s ‘wattle painting’ of Queen Elizabeth II. The painting, commissioned to commemorate the Queen’s first visit to Australia in 1954, became her official portrait for Australia.
Originally found via lottie tea

Content in a Cottage

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful painting!
Thanks for sharing the story.
Have a great week.
Xo,
E&J

Content in a Cottage said...

Eddie and Jaithan,

How nice of you to drop by to leave a comment.
I was fascinated by this story too.
Happy Easter decorating!

Rosemary

The Queen Vee said...

Pretty cool Rosemary getting a comment from Eddie R. I adore the Queen, what a beautiful portrait of her, thanks for finding and sharing the pic and story with us. Still painting, same room 3 times, 3 different colors. I don't mind painting but I truly dislike picking the color.

Millie said...

MOTH reckons I'm the only Labor voter in Australia who is a Monarchist! Conversely he is a Conservative & a staunch Republican - there is a lot of confusion here @ The Hedge Rosemary! Makes for very 'lively' debate let me tell you.
Millie x

Kiki Chaos said...

Well, there you go :) I've never seen my countries official portrait of the queen before. You are right, it's very beautiful. I was wondering whether you would mind if I reblog this, if I credit you? Kiki