Thursday, March 31, 2011

Eye-Dazzling Red and White Quilt


This is one of the quilts that was exhibited in New York City at the Park Avenue Armory. I don't have any information on this particular quilt but I really admire this monumental graphic design that makes me dizzy and a little woozy when I look at the photo. The display lasted only 5 days and there were 650 quilts -- all red and white. I saw a short segment on Martha Stewart and learned that this color combination was the most popular because the dye formula that was used made the red fabric the most stable color of all. This must be true because I don't see any fading or running in all of the quilts that were on view. I didn't go in person but I've seen many photos...including those sent to me via iPhone by a friend.

Content in a Cottage

4 comments:

Arabella said...

That's totally hypnotic! Wow! I'm always in awe of the talent of quilters, as I can't hardly sew a stitch :O)

The Queen Vee said...

That quilt almost gives you motion sickness. I haven't yet had time to sit down and enjoy the quilt pics as I've been painting walls for the past three days. I'm a pretty good painter but it is hard on my right rotator cuff. I think tomorrow I'll take a break and check out the quilts. What an amazing exhibit and collection, I think I've already said that in another comment...the paint fumes must be getting to me.

Unknown said...

Oooh --- wild! Some friends of mine went to the show and were just awestruck ( awestricken?) Let's just hope the show pops up again somewhere!

Noraleen said...

Hi-This quilt is called " circle of Illusion"' by Andrea Perejda. I wish her worshops were near to go and make one- alas too far! One day hope to make one too.
Noraleen