Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Film About The Making Of A Book

I hope you enjoy watching this film as much as I did. From the discovery of the 1898 International Dictionary to linotyping the entries to printing the last print on the vandercook to cutting the fingertabs of the deluxe edition, this video gives a quick overview of the process of creating the Pictorial Webster's fine press edition.

Order the book. $35.00 Pictorial Webster's - A Visual Dictionary of Curiosities with 1,500 black and white images. It's simply beautiful.

Want the hand-made edition? It will cost you $2,600 for the least-expensive version. Read a great article about the making of the Dictionary in the Boston Globe here.

Suggested by one of my blog readers. Thanks Victoria.



Content in a Cottage

Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

2 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

Well, at least you and I think the Pictorial Webster's is really great.

Love the picture of Webster licking the yogurt container, especially the eyes closed part of the pic.

I'm glad you didn't get the high winds, we did, which created white outs and drifting snow. Winds are still blowing hard but I did manage to get the walks and driveway shoveled again for the upteenth time this week. Today they are calling this latest storm Snoverkill.

I'm heading back to the fire and my chocolate pudding.

Rosemary and Webster you two keep each other safe and warm.

Tracy Watier said...

Just saw the pictorial Webster's at Anthropologie and thought "gosh, I'd love to receive that as a gift" and left it there. Why do I do that? Who's to know I even want it? I think I'll go back and get it for myself. Plus an extra to gift to my daughter.