Sunday, February 21, 2010

Book Cover From A More Innocent Time

Bunny Brown and His Sister Sue and Their Shetland Pony By Laura Lee Hope, the author of the Bobbsey Twins books. The Bunny Brown stories were eagerly welcomed by the children from about five to ten years of age in the first quarter of the 20th century. This title was published in 1916 ~ I sold this volume years ago and just found the image on my hard drive. The lively doings of inquisitive little Bunny Brown and his smart, trustful sister Sue provided hours of entertainment.

Children don't look like this anymore, do they? Now they look like miniature adults. I miss smocked dresses and romper sets. Oh well, I'm not in charge of the juvenile fashion industry. I do think socks at the seashore look rather odd though. The illustrator Florence England Nosworthy didn't think so, I guess it wasn't proper to go barefoot back then. I doubt that anyone would nickname a boy Bunny nowadays. I never read these books as a child, did you?



Content in a Cottage

Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

5 comments:

Susan Freeman said...

I never read those books as a child either, although I am familiar with Laura Lee Hope. It is fun to see illustrations from children's books both current and past. I have done my share of illustrations for the story time programs at our local library. Illustrating, writing and performing for children is so rewarding.

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Gal Friday said...

The cover is gorgeous--I like old illustrations from the golden age of children's books.
I read a few Bobbsey Twins books when I was a kid, so the author's name rang a bell for me.

Gail, in northern California said...

Couldn't agree with you more about children not dressing like children anymore. I think we're showing our age, Rosemary, but it saddens me to see little girls forced to grow up so quickly. Even their toys from a very early age are not the toys we enjoyed. Frankly, some of the dolls look like "ladies of the night".

teaorwine said...

Such a great cover. I did not read the Bobbsey Twins, though did love the Nancy Drew series.

Unknown said...

Mother read these wonderful books to us when we were children. I'm now 71. About 20 years ago I started collecting them. I have 26 books. I paid very high prices for these books, about $17 to $25 dollars for each issue. I still have the bill of $27.06 for one issue. I wanted to read them to my Grand kids when I had them. Well, now I have a 6yr and 8 yr and the language today is so different that they really would not understand.. Our lives have changed so much since 1916 to 1930 and the books sell for about $5.00 online... : ) Judy Stevens