Saturday, April 25, 2009

Spruce Up Your House for Spring . . .

In addition to saving pictures ripped out of magazines, I can't resist saving photos of cottages like the ones below to my pc. Once I blog about them, I can erase the images and let Google save them in cyberspace. Two tasks are accomplished and I've shared something with you too!


Before.


After.

I was really impressed with this relatively simple cottage makeover. The overhang was extended and widened with the pitch built to complement the roofline. The old iron supports and railing were replaced with wooden posts and pickets. Shutters were added to three replaced windows and the trim was painted on the double windows to pull everything together. I am assuming that the windows were replaced but maybe they weren't. They look bigger but that could just be an illusion. I like the addition of the mullions.

Doesn't the home look bigger? I think the end result stunning. This project probably wasn't terribly expensive but it added great value to this delightful cottage. Love the hydrangeas too.

We are supposed to have record high temperatures today and tomorrow. I have been busy trying to beat the heat so I can sit outside and simply enjoy it. My goldfinches are back and those yellow wild canaries are making me happy. The chirping outside is unbelieveable and it's so nice to have all the windows open.

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great weekend. ♥Rosemary



Content in a Cottage

6 comments:

Gail, northern California said...

Oh, that was fun. Remarkable, simple transformation, proving once again that less is sometimes best. I'd like to see "cottages" a regular feature.

Sue said...

I just LOVE cottages....so sweet. This one was lucky to get someone who knew when enough was enough.
When we moved here to MI, we were saddened to hear the owners of our little cottage in IL had added a two story addition and attached garage. Certainly convenient, but the results were hideous. I was devasted. Its best not to ever see ones old home again, I guess.

Tracy Watier said...

So cute. I am a cottage person through and through. And working to get my 70's stucco box to have some of that charm has been quite a challenge!
Happy Saturday, Rosemary!

Lady Laura said...

What a simple but lovely transformation! The shutters make a big difference, but the thing that stands out the most (for me) are the flowers!

I agree, it would be nice to see more of your collection of cottage inspiration.

Millie said...

Quite beautiful Rosemary! Simplicity is the winner here.
Millie ^_^

Sue said...

It's me again...I keep forgetting to give you this link. If you love cottages as much as I do, I think you will enjoy this. Enjoy!
Sue

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=fairytale%20cottages%20of%20carmel&w=all&s=int