Monday, January 26, 2009

Sleeping with books . . .


Bookcase in my guest room.


Fashion designer Bill Blass even sleeps with his books.

This photo ripped out of an old magazine years ago convinced me to put floor to ceiling bookcases in both of my bedrooms. This chamber is in an 18th century stone weekend house in northwestern Connecticut owned by Bill Blass. The bibliophile is a major benefactor of the New York Public Library, a friend to literary lions, and a daily reader no matter how crammed his business and social schedules become. He even sleeps with his books in this cozy bedroom with a library wall.

Nothing stops me in my tracks quicker than a photograph of a wall of books.

Where do you keep yours?



Content in a Cottage

6 comments:

Millie said...

After just experiencing a shocking night of disturbance I am about to replace MOTH in the bedroom with books!

He decided to do a lot of work in the garden yesterday in the awful heat here & paid for it! So between his shocking leg cramps & deafening snoring, I feel like death today. But that exquisite bedroom of Mr. Blass's - oh la la!!
Millie ^_^

teaorwine said...

I love built-ins.

Amongst The Oaks said...

I've always loved books and finally got a real library
http://amongsttheoaks.blogspot.com/2008/09/home-library-party.html
for them. Unfortunately the Lord of the Manor thinks MY library is HIS TV room....
Hugs, Laura

Joanne said...

Love the bookcases here! We have a couple random small bookcases in the house, but the family room has dark walnut wood built-in bookshelves, my favorite!

Gal Friday said...

I have built-in white(must be whait!)bookcase fantasies!! But it is only a fantasy at this point.
I DO have a small white bookcase in my bedroom, but also a bookcase by the dining table and in this room One day, I would ove to combine all my books into one long wall of books...*sigh* One day...
I like your "Bob Cratchit" table with the open book and the stool, Rosemary.

Vanessa Kiki Johanning said...

I have just recently found this amazing site! ( I just told Mrs. Blandings about it too)
its called shelfari.com I love it!!
you just have to see it, its like a visual wood bookcase where you can organize all your books! ...
It was easy but Hard to explain...

I think the switch over to google is going to be ok!! Dont worry, Real Fans will track you down ! Giggles..
Vanessa J

AKA .......... The Rhinestone Contessa