Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quote from my Grandmother, "It's easier to keep up than to catch up."

My grandmother used to say this all the time. She was a fabulous homemaker and never got behind in anything. My grandfather had one of these little wisk brooms hanging on a hook in the hall closet. He always brushed off his coat before going out.

I was so happy when I found this small vintage broom at a tag sale. It hangs in my entry and helps me recall a valuable lesson from my early years.



Content in a Cottage
Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

5 comments:

Joanne said...

So true, especially when we get busy at the holidays and life can get ahead of us. I do things like clean as I go when cooking, and putting items away as soon as I get home from shopping, picking up throughout the day. Just making small efforts throughout the day helps to keep the chores in check!

Gal Friday said...

As Joanne already stated-your grandmother's quote is so very true(although it seems hard to keep up at certain busy times of the year!).
As for the little whisk broom idea--your memory of your grandfather and his brushing off his coat before he left the house is just what I needed to read today. As I was waiting in line at the Post Office before heading home, I noticed the rather untidy condition of my winter coat and felt a little embarrassed seeing the stray lint and hair (mine) stuck on my coat. I will have to have a little whisk broom now for MY coat (not that I would be lucky enough to find a sweet vintage one like yours)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could get my kids to heed this advice!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary,

It's so true! A lovely post, just as you usually do! Keeping up makes things going so easily in everyday life. Just small things but so important.

Chiara

Ann said...

Rosemary, I love this post and love the value you put on family and memories. I, too, love vintage things and anything that reminds me of family.