Thursday, September 25, 2008

My diminutive bookcase . . .

I finished the renovation of my cottage in 2004. I sold all the large pieces that did not have a place here before moving in and have been slowly filling in the bare spots ever since. Luckily I am a patient person as it is very hard to find small-scale antiques.

Over the summer I finally found a bookcase for my overflow of antiquarian books. I am thrilled with the size and style. I love the graduated shelves with waterfall sides, the bottom drawer with brass pulls, the legs with brass castors, and there is even an inlaid conch shell on the back panel. I found it at an estate sale nearby. I was not one of the early birds either. Luckily, this treasure was piled high with junk and the other lookers passed it by.

I just wanted to drive home the point that the best homes are not decorated overnight. I went to a realtor open house yesterday that looked as if all the furnishings were purchased on the same day. Not a good look in my opinion.


Don't be in a rush. Slow down and enjoy the hunt.

All things come to those who wait!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm so glad I visited yours! It's lovely!

-Andrew

Unknown said...

That is lovely! You are so right about the time that is involved in making a lovely home. I am finding that sometimes you have to make a couple of false starts and u-turns before you get it "just right".

Anonymous said...

Out blog hopping and found your blog. I'm so with you on the slowly decorating a house. My husband and I are slowly getting rid of pieces that we don't love, and only replacing with "perfect" pieces we find in our antique shopping hunts.

You have a wonderful blog with lovely photos!

designer said...

I enjoy your blog, especially the shopping finds like this perfect bookcase! I just started my own blog while iced/snowed in in Atlanta this week. My partner was watching Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House on TMC and googled blandings and house plans and found your site. He actually wants the blueprint for the "Blandings" house. That's another story. Glad I landed on your site.

Jeff

Ann said...

Rosemary, I covet your bookcase. It is simply delightful.