Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My New Listing


This circa 1780 home was moved to its current location in the village of New Vernon NJ 07976 in the mid 1800s. It is several doors away from my office and it is desperate for a new owner since it's been vacant since 2002. Cross your fingers for it and for me. I put the listing in the MLS yesterday and I'm waiting for my phone to ring but it hasn't. The dwelling is gutted inside so it's a real project for an old house lover or a commercial enterprise. I hope someone with a wonderful vision steps up to save this beautiful survivor with such great bones. It is zoned for business and residential and would be a wonderful place to live and work. It has a great feel inside with high ceilings, many new windows, and new framing installed by Amish post and beam barn builders. The tin roof was removed and replaced with hand-split cedar shakes. The old siding was removed to expose the original clapboards. The fully-floored walk-up attic is an amazing space. I'll keep you posted on the activity. See you later. Maybe this historic home called The Academy has been holding out for someone to love it again.

2 comments:

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

It takes a special kind of person to love an old home like that.
I hope this building and that special someone--meet up soon!
Best wishes to you on it!

Susan said...

Grew up in New Vernon, on Village Rd. Love the area and long to revisit sometime soon! Beautiful house!