Monday, June 30, 2014

My 18th Century House Listing

The owners bought a reproduction of a New Jersey fireback from the same period as the house. It is perfect behind the stove. I never even thought of using a cast iron piece instead of tile as a backsplast but it's very appropriate.

The right wing was built in 1763 and the main body of the house was added in 1793. The home inspection was today and I think it went well. "It's not good because it's old, it's old because it's good." This quote is so true. You can't beat 18th century post and beam construction.

Side view looking at the 1763 side facing east. Wish me luck getting through these inspections.

4 comments:

White Lace and Promises said...

Oh what character! You can't get that in a new home. I want one of these-already renovated, of course. What fun that you get to look at all these houses.

The Queen Vee said...

Happy for the owner/seller that the inspection went well. I hope the new owners will be very happy is this mature cottage.

GI Jilly said...

I love that! Great idea and I'm going to buy a fireback for my kitchen. Thanks for all the beautiful pics.

LANA said...

I love it! More photos, please, especially the kitchen.