Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Edition of THE GREAT GATSBY Sells for $180,000 . . .

This is something for you to look for at each and every garage sale, tag sale, estate sale, and book sale from now on. It looks very ordinary so you will have to look carefully. This is what all the booksellers refer to as a Modern First.



Francis Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby.
New York: Charles Scribner's Sons, 1925
Original dark green cloth stamped in blind and gilt, with dust jacket.
Considered by experts as quite possibly "the most expensive piece of Twentieth Century printed paper in book collecting." The dust jacket is an exceptionally rare find, which clearly contributed to the book far surpassing its estimate of $80/120,000 and ultimately fetching $180,000 — a world record price for any Gatsby. Read about other big ticket items that sold at Bonham's Auction.

I am right on schedule with my outside work trying to get a jump on fall. I was cutting down my giant weeds by moonlight last night. Really! I didn't come inside until 8:15. I hope the moon casts a giant hex on them for next year.
The weather is absolutely fabulous and there is no rain predicted for the next week. Cool and crisp with no humidity. Perfect for doing hard work outside. I am feeling very fulfilled about being so independent and doing everything myself since everybody else I know uses an outside service.
Thanks for stopping by the cottage. ♥Rosemary



Content in a Cottage

4 comments:

JulesQuilts said...

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled!

Sue said...

What a great find that would have been at a garage sale! I have to find a better neighborhood to go "saling" at. No one reads around here. Sigh.
I'm always on the lookout for old books....but I could never part with them.

Maureen Sullivan Stemberg, Interiors said...

Rosemary,

OMGoodness...$180,000!! I believe Mr. Fitzgerald is celebrating this evening. You are very talented. I would go for the diamond with the compass...It would add a bit of whimpsey. Which every home should have. Sounds like you are working very hard in your garden.
Have a great & fun holiday weekend!!

Gal Friday said...

That image of you weeding in the dark immediately made me think of one of my favorite poems(by Edna St. Vincent Millay), especially the 3rd stanza:

"Portrait By A Neighbor"

*Before she has her floor swept
Or her dishes done,
Any day you'll find her
A-sunning in the sun!

It's long after midnight
Her key's in the lock,
And you never see her chimney smoke
Til past ten o'clock!

She digs in her garden
With a shovel and a spoon,
She weeds her lazy lettuce
By the light of the moon,

She walks up the walk
Like a woman in a dream,
She forgets she borrowed butter
Any pays you back in cream!

Her lawn looks like a meadow,
And if she mows the place
She leaves the clover standing
And the Queen Anne's lace!