Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Further adventures of the toad in the toad house . . .

I put the toad I found in the garden in this toad house on Saturday. He was nowhere to be found until I looked again yesterday...and there he was!


This ceramic house was purchased at a rummage sale last year.


I tipped it over to get another photo.


I posed him on the ladies mantle.


When I put him back inside he hopped to the opening and peeked out.

I hope he stays and I think he will. A whole week of rain is the perfect weather for him to get settled in. Happiness is a resident toad. He will have lots of bugs to eat later in the summer.

You can make a toad home yourself by breaking an opening in a clay flower pot and turning it upside down. Instructions here.



Content in a Cottage

8 comments:

Gal Friday said...

This entry, with the photos and story just made my day!(and my day needs some brightening, what with it being Hump Day and still grey and rainy)
What a smart toad to decide to stay in such an elegant house.

Zuzana said...

I love frogs and toads, they are so very cool - also to the touch.;)
Lovely post that made me smile - but then nature has that effect on me.;))

JulesQuilts said...

I trust the toad enjoyed his time as a model!
Love the toad house seems he does too.

Pam said...

Rosemary, I'm a faithful reader of your blog and look forward to your posts. We, too, have a resident toad. He hibernates during the cold months but returns in the spring. During the hot days of summer we don't see him out and about until late evening. I noticed in one photo that you have larkspur seedlings up. My larkspur here in Oklahoma are already in bloom in shades of purple, pink & white--so lovely among the roses.

Nutty Gnome said...

Hi Rosemary. I just wandered into your blog from...erm..somewhere else - I've lost track! What a happy accident though! I've loved reading all your posts and Life's Little Instruction Book has made me chuckle quite a few times too.

I've got toads in my garden - and frogs and newts too. I love finding them under random bits of stone - even when they make me jump!

Thank you. :)

Gal Friday said...

I am happy to report I spotted not one, but two tiny little toads in my garden this afternoon! It turned completely sunny at about 2:30, and I started to dig and around and weed in my garden when I got home.
Now, of course, I will have to improvise and make some sort of toad house for them...(the broken flower pot idea could do very well, so they might be "content in their own cottages").

cheatymoon said...

I love that broken flowerpot idea.

Gail, northern California said...

Hi Rosemary,
I think you might enjoy a visit with Margaret Roach at:
http://awaytogarden.com/
In addition to being an incredible gardening source, she is also a frog lover. Take time to visit her frogboys.com
April 27 entry entitled "Splendor in the Grass" tickled me. "Best. Spring. Break. Ever" also a delight.