Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Blue and White Checked Curtains.


I love blue and white checks. The fabric for these curtains has been made and remade 5 times since 1972. They started out life in a New York City walkup on West 74th Street. They covered a large sliding glass door that opened on to a deck. They are currently on a tension rod that fits inside the casement. They are still going strong. Never lined. This woven fabric is only a little faded on the reverse side. I wish I had more for the great price I paid on the Lower East Side. I am always shocked when I see the prices for designer fabric. So I shall be content with what I have!

Content in a Cottage

1 comment:

Penelope Bianchi said...

Completely brilliant. Classics never die. Gingham is totally classic, and yours must be of the very best quality! What a story!

People in England think Americans are totally wacko when they redo their curtains. They last a lifetime in England, and sometimes two! Long lifetimes! My favorite curtains ever belonged to Evangeline Bruce. First, made by John Fowler in the seventies. Moved from London to Washington, DC. Finally, willed to her son.....I believe he still has these masterpieces in his house. Silk with pinked ruffles on the edges. My knees go weak thinking about them!
Bravo Rosemary!