Wednesday, August 28, 2024

New Thrifted Artwork for My Bedroom

I purchased this framed poster several weeks ago on the third day of an estate sale. I couldn't believe my luck. I have always admired this artist and I have been living with a blank wall in my bedroom since 2004. It was very heavy (20 pounds) and I didn't get up the nerve to hang it until yesterday. I am beyond thrilled.

Here's a horizontal view showing how it lines up with my window. I got the placement right on the first try. Actual hanging it was a little tricky because the wire kept getting stuck on the hanger instead of the hook. After some tricky maneuvers I finally got it on the hook. I used to do custom framing and had a space in an antiques center where I hung my antique prints so I know how to measure the placement of hanging hooks.

Mine is, of course, a reproduction and that's fine with me. An original sold in 2007 at Christie's in London for 12,500 British pounds. Alphonse Mucha is the Czech artist, painter, illustrator and graphic artist living in Paris during the Art Nouveau period. This delightful  artwork was used as the cover for a promotional copy of a British literary magazine THE WEST END REVIEW in 1898. 

Thank you to those of you who have emailed me to see where I've been. It's nice to be missed. There are some things I'm supposed to be doing to my blog that I cannot figure out. I decided today to just keep doing what I know how and hope for the best. xo, Rosemary

12 comments:

Content in a Cottage said...

NEW POST ALERT 8/28 6:20 pm

Lisa said...

The new artwork looks great! Big pieces like that are sometimes very daunting to hang, but once they are on the wall they look great. Enjoy! Happy to hear from you ;)

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa, You're right about the hanging part! I couldn't be happier with my new bedroom wall. The huge poster turned out to be perfect and well worth the wait. Have a great Labor Day Weekend. xo, Rosemary

mia said...

You have such an eye for decorating. And the patience and perseverance for nosing out bargains. It's perfect on that wall. And I know just what you mean about the wire. As an aside, my son just bought a house. What a wild ride it is to buy in a seller's market. I wish we could have a chin wag about the whole experience. In the end, I think he found a charming 1940's bungalow, and happily for me, very close by. I couldn't be happier.

Pam said...

Hello Rosemary! It's so good to see your post! It looks like you snagged another beauty...I love that you waited 20 years for this 20 pound work of art. Sometimes we have to wait for the right thing to come along. Have a great holiday weekend!

Content in a Cottage said...

Mia, I am blessed with lots of patience as I have said before and this beautifully framed poster was definitely worth the wait. Your son was so lucky to be able to actually buy a home in this market instead of losing the bid. I'm happy for both of you and the fact that his 40's bungalow is near you is the icing on the cake. I have decided to become a referral agent at the end of this year. I think my timing is perfect with all the changes in the industry. Happy long Labor Day weekend. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Lisa, Nice to hear from you too. I exercised muscles I didn't know I had wrestling with the wire and the hook. I'm very pleased with the outcome though. So glad you like the artwork too. Enjoy the Labor Day weekend. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- I am pleased it turned out to be so perfect because there is no other place for it other than the attic. I never minded the blank wall next to my bed. You are supposed to choose things mindfully for your bedroom that aren't too stimulating and could keep you awake. This artwork is very soothing to me and I couldn't be more pleased. Have a great Labor Day weekend too. xo, Rosemary

Guestie said...

Rosemary, it is wonderful to see you back here; you were missed. That piece looks great; very decorative and fills that wall nicely. I am wondering if this guest room is next to the basement sitting room that you spruced up a while ago. Looks lovely!

Content in a Cottage said...

Guestie -- This is my actual personal bedroom on the main floor with my living room, guest room and kitchen. I'm loving sleeping next to this lovely thrifted artwork. I have another smaller framed poster in a similar frame in this room. I'll have to post a photo of it. xo, Rosemary

JudyMac said...

Oh, wow! What a great Mucha find! Wish I were up your way to take advantage of some of those great estate sales. Watch out for the black bears!

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- I am so glad you like my Mucha poster. I absolutely love it and I am still in shock that it was waiting for me on the third day of a sale. I'm very cautious now when I am outside working now that I have had a bear visit me.
xo, Rosemary