Sunday, May 15, 2022

New Antique Chair in My Living Room

This Gothic Revival chair between my TV and a sofa (not shown) to the right has a mate that lives in my entrance vestibule. It's perfect there when I need to sit and put on my boots or put down a parcel. I bought the pair several weeks ago at a local garage sale. This morning I put a blooming geranium on this one for a Sunday morning photo shoot. It's a dreary day having rained all night and that's fine with me. 

I have had a young handyman working off and on for weeks doing odd jobs I cannot do myself (like sheetrock removal and replacement for a soffit in a bathroom). Water damage is the worst and I had two episodes over the years in my cottage. One was when the pan under attic central air conditioning unit overflowed and found a path all the way to my mother's quarters in my walk-out lower level, too nice to be called a basement. The other time I had water was due to a roof leak. The ceiling in the hallway near my first floor bedroom needed scraping, spackling, and painting. I found other places in both bedrooms that had peeling plaster that needed repair too. So there was sanding in those rooms too before painting. The first floor repairs were finished a week or two ago and everything's back in order after two deep vacuuming sessions.

The soffit had to be totally replaced in a full bath downstairs and some other ceiling repairs down there too requiring spackling, sanding, and painting. He did a great job and I am very pleased. The paint matches perfectly too. I got everything back in order in the kitchen and hallway down there and today I will do the bedroom and sitting room. I just need to put all the drop cloths back where they belong and do a deep vacuum cleaning and I will be all set. My laundry list is getting shorter but there are still things to do. There is an old saying, "Life is 90% maintenance" and that sounds about right, doesn't it? Those who aren't homeowners spend it on self care. DIY homeowners ask themselves whether they should get a manicure or weed the garden? I have never had a manicure and have no plans to get oneπŸ˜‚

Enjoy your Sunday. xo

Here is a closeup of the back of the chair. A small piece of moulding is missing from the center column. The companion chair in my vestibule is missing all three little pieces at the columns' bases. I might try carving the replacement one of these days. xo

10 comments:

Pam said...

Such an interesting chair-with all the arches and carved details. Bet it's solid, too. Bet you'll really use it often.

Rosemary, you have such a good attitude about getting cleaned up following the home repairs. When we had walls repaired and sanded, that dust found its way to every corner of the house. It will be wonderful to have it all done, though (anyway, that's what I keep telling myself). xo

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- Correct. That fine dust is something else. I had to empty the canister of my bagless vacuum cleaner twice. I had been trying to keep up with it all along but now that the work is over I will I will eventually get it off the shelves, etc. I have my windows open now so the pollen will be coming in next. It's a relief to have the hard part over. I think that's why we delay repairs because we hate the disruption. xo, Rosemary

kathiquilts said...

Love the details on your chair and that geranium is the perfect addition on a rainy day!
"I'll go get a manicure now"---said no gardener ever.

Content in a Cottage said...

kathiquilts -- You made me laugh out loud πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ on my way to put on my pajamas after working outside until dark. Thanks so much! xo, Rosemary

Linda A. said...

Yes, I agree with your statement, we hate the disruption! Often we have waited to do
a project until it’s a ‘ have to’ time.
I think you run a tight ship and I say bravo.
Your chairs are a great find.. It’s so nice to find a good buy. πŸ€—

Content in a Cottage said...

Linda A. -- You are so right. It's the disruption that's the worst part about inside repairs. But once they are completed, it feels mighty good. The Gothic chairs were a good buy and they are right at home in my cottage. xo, Rosemary

Tara Dillard said...

A penny saved is a plant bought.

Man on site for a few weeks, building Conservatory onto historic shed, and house repairs. A great feeling getting it done. And, I know you've chosen someone skilled, honest.

You don't have a basement, you have a Terrace Level.

Love the chairs. Remind me of William Morris. Perfect plant perch, and sitting to do shoes, or place a parcel.

Have a great week.

Anonymous said...

that chair is perfect there! and to think you also enjoy its twin when you come inside. I love hearing about your cottage and the treasures you find for it. YOU are the epitome of what home is. a slow collecting of things. the valued History of it all. it works! and it's beautiful.
and you give new meaning to the words... "a woman's work is never done!"

Content in a Cottage said...

Tara Dillard -- Tara, A conservatory! How wonderful. Love your quote about thrift and plants. My chairs do have a William Morris look, thanks. My lower level is now my Terrace Level, thanks for the idea. This is the perfect time of year for having outside and house work done. Enjoy. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- Tam, I can't believe I could fit two more chairs in my cottage but I did. Slow collecting is very rewarding and such fun. So glad you like the things I add every now and then. That saying is so true about a woman's work never being done. I am in a mad rush to finish the hard jobs before the summer heat comes my way. xo, Rosemary