Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Handyman Coming Today to Attach My Ceiling Projects

I repainted the Regio Register air conditioning vent covers yesterday, just in time. This afternoon at 4:00 my young handyman is coming to put them back in place. He wasn't expecting the project to be so advanced and I'm sure he was secretly thrilled I had done so much by myself. The two very large ones are for a vertical wall in the attic. The rest go in the ceiling on my main floor. They are heavy and I thing I will somehow have to help holding each one in place while he drills them. I got a tube super tacky construction adhesive that "grabs" in 30 seconds but I'm not putting much trust that it will work but maybe it will. I have a long telescoping pole with a lambswool covered blade on the end for washing windows outside. Maybe I can hold these in place somehow if needed. Wish me luck. Will post photos later.
For anyone who hasn't been following this project, click the link for the complete history. 
xo

It was definitely a two-person job and all 7 vent covers are back in place. I had everything very organized and we were finished in an hour. 


My telescoping window washing pole came in very handy. I pushed the rod with the lamb's wool cover against each ceiling mounted vent cover after the construction adhesive was applied while my handyman screwed them in place. It's dipping down to 45° tonight so I have no need for air conditioning but when it gets hot, I'm ready with all the louvers in the open position. In the fall, it will be a snap to close them. Another project completed successfully. I am thrilled. xo

Morning after in my bathroom. Nothing fell down from 5 ceiling-mounted installations during the night😂 The two large ones in the attic were wall mounted and were a snap to put back. The only hard thing about those two was turning one in another direction so I could get my screwdriver inside to open and close the fins of he louvers. Luckily it was square so the placement of the screws didn't matter. Believe me, these things took a lot of engineering and I had to orchestrate every step. I think my young handman appreciated all of my prep work and he probably learned a lot in the process. I have already shared him with one of my girlfriends who needs window boxed installed.

13 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Aha, the end is in sight! And how good those grates are going to look. Love the ones you chose.

Content in a Cottage said...

NEW POST -- WEDNESDAY morning. Help is on the way this afternoon to attach my ceiling vent covers. More photos will be posted after he leaves. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- I love the grates too. They were a mess after removing all that adhesive from years of attaching clear plastic to close the holes so my heat didn't escape. I had to use razor blades and scraped off a lot of the original paint job. I am thrilled with the one coat coverage of my repainting yesterday. This project will be finished today with any luck and luckily I haven't needed my central air yet. This was a great spring project because I could clean all the brushes and rollers outside with the hose. I have a hot water faucet out there also and it made cleanup so thorough and fast. I have a septic system so no indoor paint cleanup is allowed. See you later with photos of the completed project. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

You have made wonderful progress on this big project, Rosemary! I'm proud of your "can-do" spirit. Looking forward to seeing them installed.

Content in a Cottage said...

All seven (7) grilles covering the vents are up and it only took an hour. It was a two-person job just as I thought it would be. I posted two photos. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- It was much harder that I ever expected but so worth the effort. I learned a lot and used tools I have never used before like chisels. I have been collecting tools for over 50 years "just in case" I ever need them. They are always very reasonably priced at garage sales. It's very rewarding to accomplish a hard task on your own home with only a little help. xo, Rosemary

Horse, Hound, and Home said...

Looks GREAT! Congratulations!

Pam said...

They look wonderful, Rosemary. Job well done!! Tools are much more important than we realize. My father had many and I think my husband may have even more, lol. When we moved, recently, he tried to sort and downsize, but I don't think he got rid of anything. Thank goodness, our son-in-law, who is just 2 miles away, gave him space in an outbuilding for his tools. I especially love the old tools with wooden handles.

Noelle said...

Good luck with this project. I love how you explain everything in detail. You’re very talented and brave. So inspiring!

Content in a Cottage said...

Horse, Hound, and Home -- Thank you😘 I am very happy with this project and glad it's over so I can get my life back. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam, The minute you get rid of a tool is when you need it the next day. I have given some of my duplicates to my handyman to help him with his business but I kept the best ones. Old tools that were made in the USA are especially prized and most of mine are. Your husband was wise to keep all of his and now your daughter's husband is the keeper of the flame. How wonderful to have his workshop as their new home and how luck you are to have them (daughter and SIL) only two miles away. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Noelle -- Thank you. I like trying a project myself before asking for help. This was a unique project that required patience and ingenuity and I have plenty of both. I'm glad you appreciated the details of the project. I didn't want anyone thinking it was simple. If only my walls could talk! Have a great Memorial Day. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

UPDATE: I posted one more photo in the daylight this morning showing my bathroom ceiling. xo, Rosemary