Friday, February 10, 2017

Garrow's Law - BBC TV Series in 3 DVDs

I am on the last DVD disc of the final series and do NOT want to see this BBC Scotland series end. It is beyond fabulous and I am so glad I found it at my favorite public library in Madison NJ. The lighting is beautifully filmed in what appears to be total candle light, but you know it's not. I so enjoyed the Georgian London architecture, the period antiques in period paneled rooms, the costumes, and more. The stories are quite gripping too. I wasn't sure I was going to like it but was hooked right away in the first few minutes of the chapter of the first disc. You can probably stream it on Acorn and other streaming services. I prefer DVDs.

Read more about this series on Wikipedia here.

Set around trials at the Old Bailey (Central Criminal Court) in Georgian London against a backdrop of corruption and social injustice, Garrow's Law is a legal drama inspired by the life of pioneering barrister William Garrow. He is credited with coining the English phrase “presumed innocent until proven guilty” used in common law.

6 comments:

The Queen Vee said...

This is one that I've never seen, must check my library and see if they have it. Might also be available on Acorn TV which we subscribed to recently.

Anonymous said...

thank you!
I will also see if my library has it.
so far they have a wonderful collection of BBC programs.

Content in a Cottage said...

tammy j -- If your library doesn't have it, maybe they can get it for you on Inter-Library Loan. I am also watching MI-5 but my library only has Volume I. They have been able to get 2 and 3 for me from a neighboring library. I have reserved Volume 4 and cannot wait.
xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

The Queen Vee -- Victoria, I am sure Acorn has it. You will absolutely love this series. William Garrow was a principled man who held himself to very high standards. He's my new Hero.
xo, Rosemary

jusaweecatnap said...

I always appreciate your recommendations. Never heard of this one. We're lucky to live in a county where most of the libraries share through inter-library loans. You can peruse the selection of all of them online and they'll send it to your local library. Bless Libraries and Librarians!!!
Loving Victoria on tv right now. Love the romance and glitz.

Content in a Cottage said...

justaweecatnap -- I am loving VICTORIA too and anxiously await Sunday night's episode. I agree that Libraries and Librarians are wonderful. Inter-library loans make almost everything available at my own library. The only things I can't get are episodes that do not exist. I am always sad when a really good series ends.
xo, Rosemary