Thursday, May 3, 2012

The Scream brings $119.9 Million


It took 12 nail-biting minutes and five eager bidders for Edvard Munch’s famed 1895 pastel of “The Scream” to sell for $119.9 million, becoming the world’s most expensive work of art ever to sell at Sotheby's auction house in NYC yesterday. Read more in The New York Times...
Munch's subject matter is symbolist in content, depicting a state of mind rather than an external reality. Munch maintained that the impressionist idiom did not suit his art. Interested in portraying not a random slice of reality, but situations brimming with emotional content and expressive energy, Munch carefully calculated his compositions to create a tense atmosphere. via
Can you believe that was the highest price ever paid for a work of art? via

9 comments:

tammy j said...

not to denigrate "great" rather expensive art...
but i like the second scream picture much better! lol.

CHRISTOPHER BENTLEY said...

Was in Paris in January and saw a great Munch show at the Pompidou Center, 'The Scream' was not in it, but the notes indicated that he made many multiples of his more famous images, for whomever was a willing buyer. Wonder how many 'Screams' are out there at $120 million...
-Chris

The Queen Vee said...

I know 'The Scream' is a renowned and iconic painting but nonetheless I think the $120 million price tag is a bit over the top. I have a little oil painting that I purchased at a thrift for $35.00 that I like a lot better.

La Maison Fou said...

Thanks for the info Rosemary...long time, no hear!
All is well in Okie,just busy....always loved this work of art. I wonder if the buyers reaction at writing the check was anything like the pastel?

Thanks, made my day.
Leslie

Kirsti said...

Hi from Norway

This is what Munch said about The Scream (translated by Wikipedia, checed by me): "I was walking along a path with two friends
– the sun was setting
– suddenly the sky turned blood red
– I paused, feeling exhausted, and leaned on the fence
– there was blood and tongues of fire above the blue-black fjord and the city
– my friends walked on, and I stood there trembling with anxiety
– and I sensed an infinite scream passing through nature."

Here you can hear the Norwegian artist Kari Bremnes performing the lyrics in Norwegian. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Kk98fUm2_ng#! Hope you hear the whole eight minute. Maybe a bit noisy, but It´s massive!

Thank you for blogging, Rosemary. I love to read about you, your stylish mother and Webster, the brown, beautiful dog.

JudyMac said...

Yes, I can believe that price tag, which just goes to prove .... even in this economy there are still plenty of big bucks available for such. I agree with the Queen Vee, however. My two to three figure ($) pieces of artwork are priceless to me.

Karen said...

I'm not a fan of this particular piece. If I had that kind of money there are so many other artists I'd consider.
Karen

Stacey Snacks said...

I agree w/ Tammy....I like the Brittany Spaniel scream much better, worth more $$$ to me.

humbird said...

How much? Arrrghhh!