Sunday, October 3, 2010

Elaborate Shower Fixture Circa 1916

Everything old is new again. I photographed this from one of my architectural books. Caption reads: "At the Barrett House in New Ipswich, New Hampshire, a new bathing room was constructed shortly before 1916 to receive this elaborate shower bath with multiple controls that would have sent water all around the bather." What a wonderful classic beauty.

The Barrett House (circa 1800), also known as Forest Hall, is a Federal style American mansion located on Main Street. This nonprofit museum operated by Historic New England is open to the public several days a year. Read more. If you visit, ask to see the bathing room.

I washed the windows on one French door today inside and out; 15 panes x2 = 30 windows. I look at these windows and feel faint.

Content in a Cottage
Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

1 comment:

Millie said...

I did exactly the same today Rosemary! I've been doing 4 of our huge glass panes a weekend. I'm exhausted, but gosh they look good.
The Federal style is my very favourite style of American architecture.
Millie ^_^