Sunday, September 19, 2010

My Antique Silver Hedgehog Pincushion


While we are on the subject of hedgehogs, I decided to take two more photos of my little antique fellow since he sun was shining so brightly on my marble kitchen counter.

He's a solid silver hallmarked pincushion in the shape of a hedgehog. The marks indicate that it was made in Birmingham England in 1903. I got it on an an antique house call years ago and it's one of my favorite things. I had to provide all the quills; the straight pins aren't antique. The stuffing is some kind of coarse animal hair (probably horse). He's pretty wonderful, isn't he?

Content in a Cottage
Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

6 comments:

Marilyn said...

OH, I have always wanted one of these little fellows!!! I am truly envious......truly!!!!

Marguerite (Tina) Smith Hart said...

Oh Rosemary what an adorable little fellow! You are so lucky to have him to admire and he is useful also.
It makes you wonder about the people who owned him before....a seamstress perhaps?
Tina xo

Romulo Vela said...

Lovely! People in the past made happy useful tools. :D

Gal Friday said...

His is indeed wonderful!
I remember when you showed off this prickly fellow the first time on your blog. If I had ownership of this pincushion, I think it might very well be one of my most treasured things.

Kat said...

Rosemary, you have such lovely treasures....I especially love this one. Thank you for sharing him.

http://kat-kathleenjackson.blogspot.com/

Alice said...

Precious.