Friday, January 29, 2010

Black Forest Dog Carvings $30,500.

This is the dog group that sold for such a high price.

This carving with glass eyes is in my collection. Mine is only 9" long so he's much smaller. I love him even more since his larger relatives brought such a high price. He has lived with me for at least 25 years. The perfect pet. He doesn't eat and he's housebroken.

Rarer than any breed at Westminster, a circa-1900, 39-inch-wide Black Forest carved tableau of a St. Bernard dog and pups took the blue ribbon in Florida at Auctions Neapolitan and Gallery's Jan. 23 sale when it sold for $30,590 against an estimate of $6,000-$8,000.

Close-up of the mother dog's face attributed to Swiss artist Walter Mader who carved only dogs. How very beautiful. Have a great weekend. Rosemary



Content in a Cottage

Click orange square to subscribe via feed reader or email.

1 comment:

La Maison Fou said...

Rosemary;
I was in a clients home last week; she had 2 concrete collumn like pedestals that were the top of a lab type of dog at the top and the rest of the collumn went down to feet like bottom. ( hard to describe; I may ask to snap a pic next trip) anyhow this reminded me of your dog statuary post.

These were on the entry way with a piece of beveled glass on the top, then other doggie things on the top.

I just love dog accessories!

Leslie