Monday, October 26, 2009

Tenant transforms his apartment in exchange for free rent.

A look inside the San Francisco apartment with an antiques theme renovated by its tenant, an interior designer.
In 2007, Grant K. Gibson, an interior designer, offered his future landlord a deal: in exchange for two months' free rent ($3,000), he would renovate the San Francisco apartment. Mr. Gibson sits before 18th century architectural drawings of Rome from an old book that he mounted in $20 frames.

He only wears black and white clothes so it was quite a leap to be so bold with color in the bedroom.

This antique Turkish rug and imitation-crocodile tray table were hand-me-downs from one of Mr. Gibson's clients.

All of the bamboo roman shades are from Target. I might get these for the three windows in my studio. Don't you think this young man did an amazing job for just $3,000? Be sure to view all 12 of the photographs in the New York Times slideshow.

Thanks for stopping by the cottage for an inspirational renovation. ♥Rosemary



Content in a Cottage

4 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Fantastic slideshow, Rosemary! It looks like it had some good bones to it. I love the walnut floors and the seating area in that beautiful window.

The Queen Vee said...

What are you doing up at 4:30AM in the morning, oh I know looking at and posting great redo decor.

Love what Mr Gibson has done, wish he could come to my house and redo it!

Thanks Rosemary for the early morning eye candy.

Gail, in northern California said...

Thank you so much for alerting me to this NY Times slide show. It was wonderful and I think I would have missed it otherwise.

P.S. He is either wearing the oddest shoes or has the biggest feet I've ever seen!

Tracy Watier said...

I saw these pics somewhere else too... pretty amazing guy. Lots of style and appreciates the value of elbow grease! The bed he used was a fantastic buy as-is but to customize it with a headboard was genius. His landlord got the deal of the century... upgraded interiors and newfound prestige for his already highly sought after location.