Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Architectural Plans for Mr. Blandings' Type Dream House costing $12,500 . . .







This is an expanded version of one of my most popular posts ever. Click on each photo to ENLARGE.

Last summer I wrote about this 1917 architectural design for a white pine house costing $12,500.


I get many requests for the floor plans therefore I am including all of my scans including the plot plan and architectural details.

I absolutely love everything about this house. I hope someone is inspired to build it. Even though we have central air conditioning these days, I would not eliminate the sleeping porches on the second floor. Would you?


Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House is one of my favorite movies. I like to think he used these plans. Let me know if you decide to build it too.

See you on the Internet, Rosemary

7 comments:

Gal Friday said...

This plan seems like the plan for the PERFECT house in every way--pantry, sewing room(!), garden porch, sleeping porch..wow! I must have missed it when you originally posted this here, since it was before I (luckily) stumbled upon your blog.
I have some old issues of Better Homes And Gardens from the 1920's and 1930's and they feature house plans like this, with the house being just right and not too large, as opposed the trend of the last few decades of McMansions.

Sabina said...

I can see why this was so popular!!

I love Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House - especially the scene where Myrna Loy is explaining about all the different colors she wants everything.

Bettsi said...

Rosemary, this is lovely! Thank you for sharing the gorgeous scans. I DO want this house! And now I want to watch the movie again too!

Matt said...

Rosemary, I stumbled upon your post looking up information about Ottawa Hills. A replica of Mr. Blandings house was built in Ottawa Hills, OH, in 1948 to promote the movie. According to Wikipedia, it's still there. When I travel through the area this summer I will check it out and see if it resembles the plans you posted.

Mrs.Rabe said...

I like nothing better than checking these books out at the library and pouring over them. My daughters and I love to dream about how we would change things or keep it exactly as it is...

Kelly said...

I just found your blog.. I love this house too! It is perfect in every way. Thank you so much for posting it.

Architectural Plans said...

Hello Dude,

You have spent more for creating this site. Architectural plan is the documentation of written and graphic descriptions of the architectural elements of a building project including sketches, drawings and details. Thanks a lot...