Friday, December 26, 2008

Handmade Fabric Gift Bags I whipped up . . .

I just wanted you to see my last minute Christmas wrapping inspiration. I actually made these gift bags on Christmas Day. I had some awkward presents to wrap and deliver and did not have any boxes. I had some fabric still on the bolt and I quickly whipped up some cloth bags. It couldn't have been easier. I did not iron the seams or anything. Just quickly measured around the item, cut the rectangle, folded it over and sewed down the side and bottom, trimmed the corners, turned inside out, and then did a quick hem at the top. I didn't put a drawstring...not enough time and too much trouble. I just bunched the top and tied with a nice ribbon.

Aren't they beautiful? The recipients might be able to use the bags for something else too! I was so pleased with myself. Sometimes it pays to procrastinate; you have to improvise and great ideas come out of thin air.



Content in a Cottage

6 comments:

Stacey Snacks said...

You were Martha, before SHE was Martha!

Anonymous said...

Very cute! Christmas colors too.

A Seaside House said...

Looks so cozy! enjoy the rest of your holidays:)

Gal Friday said...

Brilliant!
The recipients of these gifts must have been delighted with both the gift inside and the presentation. (I had a hard time this year using and simply tearing off and discarding paper wrapping paper, with awareness of the environment and waste.)I am sure the sewn bags will be re-used smehow.

Tracy Watier said...

Great idea. Hope you don't mind that I'm stealing it to use next year! Pretty, reusable gift wrapping that uses up part of my giant pile of fabric. . . it's like a gift (of a little something extra) to my friends, a gift (of extra space) to me AND a gift to the environment (no unneccesary paper purchased or wasted) all in one!

kate said...

cannot believe you just whipped this up on christmas day...kudos
to you...
kate