Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Clingstone ~ The Old House and the Sea: maintained by work weekends . . .

CLINGSTONE, A faded, shingled 103-year-old mansion set on a rock in Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay, is one family's labor of love. It has been maintained for the past 47 years by working weekends in exchange for free lodging and food.

The Newport Bridge is visible from the windows of the Ping-Pong Room, to the left of the fireplace.

Casual array of multi-colored ping-pong paddles. There is time for play too!

The dining room table seats 14. Refinishing the chairs is a task on the list for a future work weekend.

Clingstone has survived through the love and hard work of family and friends. The architect owner (since 1961) says the house is always going to have rough edges. It's never going to look like the Breakers.

There are 14 photos in all that can be seen in this slideshow.

I was fascinated by this story when it appeared in the New York Times on August 7, 2008.
I have been saving it for those of you who missed it. Enjoy.



Content in a Cottage

6 comments:

Erica Lee said...

That's incredible!
I'm dreaming... this house is a beautiful spectacle.
If I could I'd fly there!

Content in a Cottage said...

Erica...I am sure they would welcome you as long as you are willing to work. Are you good at refinishing chairs?
♥Rosemary

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is beautiful!Thanks for sharing.

Content in a Cottage said...

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

~melinda~ said...

I am googling as soon as i leave here...I want to visit! Beautiful ding room and kitchen...I want to cook all day and then dine at the table with the view. This home invites company and good time memories!

Jen from Windy Ridge said...

Oh my goodness, that is absolutely breathtaking!