Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Peter the Bulldog with his owner circa 1925 . . .

PHOTOGRAPH
Kathlyn Newby and Peter the bulldog
ENGLISH, c1925

This is a scan of a postcard my friend Jill brought me years ago from Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood in London. I had an English Bulldog at the time and I know just how this little girl felt about her pet.

The dogs in my life thus far have been muts, Scottish Terriers, English Bulldogs, and my current and all-time favorite is Webster. He is mostly chocolate lab with a little pitbull thrown in for good measure.

Pets add such dimension to your home and your life.



Content in a Cottage

2 comments:

Gal Friday said...

I never had a dog as a pet until five years ago when we spotted a litter of five puppies on a lawn in the neighborhood. Once I cuddled one in particular, I knew she had to come live with us. She's Jewel, my Brittany/Italian Greyhound mix. I always had a soft spot for Boston Terriers and Springer Spaniels before that, though.
That's a wonderful image on the postcard. I have a book of cards like that--images of owners with their dogs from the years 1860 to 120--taken in England.

Content in a Cottage said...

Ohhhh, sounds like a lovely book.

You must post some pictures of Jewel. I would love to see how that mix turned out!