Sunday, November 27, 2022

Miniature Arrow Back Rocking Chair + Sweet Potato Recipes

I picked up this little handmade painted rocker years and years ago at a garage sale. The lady didn't know anything about it and sold it to me for a song.


Side view.


Rocker next to a miniature picture frame. Rocker is 6-1/4" high. Frame is 2-7/8" high. Unknown gentleman in frame reminds me of my grandfather. 

I bought a mesh bag full of sweet potatoes on Wednesday. I scrubbed six of them and put them in a cold oven and turned it on 350° and set the timer for 90 minutes. I used my downstairs electric oven because it has a more even heat. I usually cook these for one hour at 400° but they were much better cooked slower and longer. I ate two for lunch and they were soft and sweet and really delicious. Butter wasn't required but I put a dab on each for good measure and sprinkled on a light shake of pink himalayan salt. I'll never bake them any other way from this day forward. This was a perfect lunch for a Sunday that turned out to be a rainy one. My kitchen range has a gas cooktop and a gas oven as well but the oven has uneven heat. I'm glad I have the choice of both. xo

UPDATE -- TRY THIS RECIPE TOO


Slow Roasted Sweet Potatoes from Smitten Kitchen
Read the article and get the recipe HERE
She cooks hers at 275° for 2-1/2 hours!!!
Enjoy. Sweet potatoes are very plentiful right now.


xo

9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

I will now have a new way to cook sweet potatoes! You've made me hungry. :o) Thanks for sharing, Rosemary.

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- I will heat one for my lunch today in the microwave. Hope you enjoy your slow-baked sweet potatoes too. xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

That little rocker is sweet! Do you have any idea how old it might be?

A few years ago, I started doing some research on eating healthier, and if I remember correctly, sweet potatoes were in the top ten healthy foods. I started eating them often (with butter and salt--and once in a while, a little brown sugar).

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam, I have no idea how old this little rocker might be. Even if it's only a 20th century piece it's still a treasure. Some father or grandfather put a lot of love into it for some fortunate little girl and she took really good care of it. You are right about sweet potatoes being a super food and they are delicious too. Their natural sweetness is intensified by the slow baking so you probably won't even need any brown sugar. I found another recipe on Instagram from Smitten Kitchen
Slow-Roasted Sweet Potatoes smittenkitchen.com and I will add it to this post. Enjoy. She suggests a drizzle of maple syrup if you need them a little sweeter. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

UPDATE: More photos and another recipe for slow baked sweet potatoes added to the bottom of this post. ENJOY. xo, Rosemary

Vicki Arkens said...

Slow roasted sweet potatoes! Thank you posting this great, simple idea. Your photo was helpful also. Do you have to pierce the sweet potatoes before baking?

Content in a Cottage said...

Vicki Arkens -- Vicki, Yes, I pierced each sweet potato with a fork from a carving set before baking. I did another batch yesterday, this time in my gas oven. Two of them were super large compared to the 5 smaller ones so I microwaved them for 8 minutes to give them a head start. I set the oven for 350 and put them on the bottom rack and baked them for around 2 hours and they were perfect. I didn't oil the skins or anything. I ate a couple of the small ones right away and left the rest in the oven after I turned it off to continue cooking in the retained heat. Enjoy your batch. xo, Rosemary

Gretchen Joanna said...

I bought a bag full of sweet potatoes to make soup, and then plans changed and no soup is needed, so I will try baking them these two ways. Nothing could be better than a thoroughly roasted sweet potato with a dab of butter... and when they are cold, I like to eat one out of hand. But maybe these would be too soft for that. Thank you for the Simple Gift.

Content in a Cottage said...

Gretchen Joanna -- You are most welcome for the sweet potato slow baking recipes. I must get another batch when I go food shopping later today. A day with a baked sweet potato is a good one isn't it? These heat up so nicely in the microwave. xo, Rosemary