Monday, September 26, 2022

New Curtain Rods at Firehouse Flea Market


My favorite day was Saturday. The annual Firehouse Auction and flea market was back after a two-year absence due to Covid. I have been looking and looking and looking for new curtain rods for my dressing room and found them just before I was leaving for the day. I spent most of the day on Sunday looking for screws to hang them with the wooden brackets I already had. I looked through all of my screws and found nothing so I was forced to go to Ace Hardware nearby and one of the men there helped me find the perfect ones. 


I dashed home, got out my trusty new ladder, and hung the first one. The one on the right is the before photo. I have been unhappy with the old rods for a long time but have been making do until I found just the right new ones. Saturday was the day for scoring them. Now I can close them in the winter quite easily to prevent heat loss at night. My old rods were tension rods within the window frame and the curtains fell out when I tried to close them. I think moving them up to the top of my woodwork has transformed the whole room. I am in the process of putting away summer and getting out winter clothes and bedding. I put the cover on my air conditioning unit outside yesterday too. I had a great weekend, hope you did too.
xo

UPDATE: See an older blog post with the old look of these draperies HERE.

11 comments:

JudyMac said...

Big improvement … great job! Makes your window(s) really stand out. You have such great taste. Do you have double-paned windows? After installing replacement windows I found an improvement in keeping out cold air, and they sure do cut out a lot of noise.

Your Firemans’ sale sounds like a winner. Lots of sales here this past weekend with huge variety to pick and choose from. Always find at least something useful around the house. And the beautiful weather made it fun to be out on the hunt. After a very long spell of no rain, it looks like we may benefit from Ian passing close by.

Content in a Cottage said...

JudyMac -- Judy, Yes. All of my windows are double glazed with argon gas in the middle and very energy efficient. But I still want the option of closing the curtains when it gets really cold. I agree, they cut down on the noise too. I always enjoy walking around seeing all the donated goods to raise money for the firehouse that is self-supporting. I hope Ian is kind to you with some needed rain but not too much wind. We had torrential rain last night but the day turned out to be beautiful after the morning fog burned off. Glad you like my curtains on their new rods hanging up high. xo, Rosemary

Mama Pea said...

Your good eye for just the perfect decorating touches comes through again! The new rods fit with everything else in the room to a "T!" And having the option of easily closing or opening the drapes is a big plus.

JudyMac said...

My windows are the same but it gets much colder, with snow, up where you are. �� I love it that you have someone to clear the snow so quickly for you. Sunny here with wonderful breeze today … I have windows and doors open. Not expecting rain until probably Thursday at least. Hoping once Ian goes through we will continue with the great weather for at least a few more weeks. We’ve certainly been lucky this year in not having major hurricanes affecting the US. xo, Judy

Content in a Cottage said...

Mama Pea -- Thank you. I am not in a rush for really cold weather quite yet but I know I will enjoy being able to easily close the drapes this winter. Closing my Roman shades in the living room really helped keep the cold out last winter. I just got a notice my natural gas company has been granted permission to raise their rate by 25% so I will definitely be more vigilant than usual to conserve energy. Those curtain rods came along at the perfect time, didn't they? xo, Rosemary

Pam said...

What a difference it made changing out the rods and hanging the curtains closer to the ceiling. In all honesty, a person wouldn't think a few inches higher would make that much difference, but it really does. Lovely room. Glad you snagged those rods at the Firemen's Sale.

Susan said...

Looks great! Hope to get to that flea market one of these years!

Content in a Cottage said...

Pam -- It's an amazing difference in the look and feel of the room, isn't it? Thicker and bolder bronzed metal rods hung up high look important now. They were old pinch pleated drapes I got at a garage sale long ago and remade the tops with just a casing to slide thru curtain rods. I used the leftover for a companion curtain in my hall bathroom opposite this bedroom.

I blogged about it HERE: https://contentinacottage.blogspot.com/2018/10/lily-of-valley-draperies-in-my-cottage.html

That project was done in 2018 so I have lost only 4 years with the old look. I really needed that new ladder for this new reveal so everything came together perfectly. xo, Rosemary

Content in a Cottage said...

Susan -- I hope you can make it one of these years. xo, Rosemary

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

I love the rods and am so happy for you that the Garage Sale is back in full swing. I have missed all the flea markets and sales that fell by the wayside during COVID ♥

Content in a Cottage said...

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy -- Carrie, I have missed them too. Realtor Open Houses are in full swing again and so are estate sales and flea markets. YAY! I am thrilled with my rods. xo, Rosemary